Connect with us
Maduka University Advert

News

Outrage as police arraign 32 ‘hungry’ children for treason, four collapse

Published

on

Maduka University

Nigerians have expressed outrage over the arraignment of 76 suspects, including 32 minors, before Justice Obiora Egwuatu at the Abuja division of the Federal High Court for participating in the #EndBadGovernance protests in August.

Civil society groups and rights activists slammed the police and the government over the matter.

The defendants, who have been in detention for three months, were arrested in the Federal Capital Territory (Abuja); as well as Kaduna, Gombe, Jos, Katsina, and Kano states.

They were arraigned by the Inspector General of Police on 10 counts bordering on treason, intent to destabilise Nigeria and inciting to mutiny by calling on the military to take over the government from President Bola Tinubu, among others.

Advertisement

The nationwide protest against economic hardship and poor governance happened from August 1 to 10, with demonstrators calling for reduced governance costs, the reinstatement of petrol subsidy, food security, and greater fiscal discipline.

The protest turned violent in some states, leading to incidents of looting and vandalism.

Among the 76 defendants arraigned on Friday, 32 of them were minors between the ages of 14 and 17.

The minors, who looked unkempt and malnourished, were seen scrambling for water and biscuits in video clips that went viral on social media on Friday.

As proceedings commenced, the visibly unwell children were called to the dock to enter their pleas.

Advertisement

But in a sudden turn of events, four of the children suddenly collapsed and were rushed out of the courtroom, forcing the presiding judge to suspend the session until order was restored.

The minors wriggled in pain and made a screeching sound on the floor as both lawyers and prison officials hurriedly carried them up, holding their hands and legs. They were then taken out of the courtroom, as they couldn’t stand on their feet.

Watching with a bewildered look of pity and irritation, Justice Egwuatu abruptly rose and went into his chambers.

Upon his return, the prosecution counsel, Audu Garba, told the court that the matter was for arraignment.

He said, “My Lord the matter is fixed for arraignment. Some of the defendants are outside due to lack of space in the courtroom to accommodate all of them.”

Advertisement

The judge, however, insisted that space should be created for all of them, as he wanted all defendants inside the courtroom.

The prosecution proceeded to ask the court to strike out the names of the sick defendants and discharge them pending when they get well to be brought back to the court to answer to their charges.

The defense counsel, Marshall Abubakar, however, asked the court to discharge and acquit them.

He said, “The application is on the fact that the defendants are sick and malnourished. These boys are hungry and have not been fed for three days.”

The prosecution, however, objected to the defence counsel’s submission, insisting that the defendants, who had been detained since August when they were arrested, were well catered for in the police cell where they had been kept.

Advertisement

He, however, asked the court to grant the defendants bail.

The court, on the submission of the prosecution, discharged the four sick defendants – Umar Yunusa, Usman Suraju, Musa Isiyaku and Abdul Ganiu – pending when they get well.

The court, however, refused to acquit them.

Justice Egwuatu declared that until they meet their bail terms, defendants who are 18 years and above should be remanded in the Kuje Custodial Centre while  the minors (18 years and below) be remanded in the Borstal Centre in Gwagwalada.

Nigerians condemned the undue detention and arraignment of the defendants, describing them as a violation of human rights and an indication of the government’s approach to civil dissent.

Advertisement

The charges brought against them read in part, “That between July 31, 2024, and August 4, 2024, at the Abuja FCT and Kano Metropolis, within the jurisdiction of this court, while acting in concert and with intent to destabilise Nigeria, conspired together to commit felony to wit: treason.”

Count two, “That within the jurisdiction of this court, while acting in concert and with intent to destabilise Nigeria conspired together to commit felony to wit: inciting to mutiny, thereby committing an offence.

Count three, “That between July 31, 2024 and August 10, 2024, in Abuja FCT, Kaduna, Kano and Gombe, within the jurisdiction of this court, while acting in concert with Andrew Martin Wynne (aka Andrew Povich) a British citizen, with intent to destabilise Nigeria, levies war against the state in order to intimidate or overawe the president, by attacking and injuring police officers and burning police stations, High Court Complex, NCC Complex, Kano Printing Press, Government House Kano, Kaduna Investment and Promotions Agency office, NURTW office and several other buildings and thereby committed an offence contrary to section 410 of the Penal Code (Northern States) Federal Provisions Act CAP P3 LFN 2004”.

The FG also accused them of having the plan to destabilise Nigeria by calling on the military to take over government from President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and by chanting, ‘Tinubu most go,’ ‘It is military we want’, while rioting and disturbing public peace.

Justice Egwuatu, however, granted the protesters bail in the total sum of N760m with two sureties in like sum.

Advertisement

The judge further held that one of the sureties must be a level 15 civil servant and the other a parent to the defendants.

He also ordered that the sureties make available to the court a means of identification, letter of last promotion, letter of appointment, means of Identification and a verified address.

Justice Egwuatu said, “The defendants are granted bail in the sum of N10m each with two sureties in like sum.

NBA, SANs decry rights abuse

Reacting, the Nigerian Bar Association said subjecting minors to such treatment not only violates domestic and international legal protections, but also paints Nigeria in a negative light on the global stage.

Advertisement

The National President of the NBA, Afam Osigwe, who stated this in an interview, said the inhumane treatment of the minors constituted a grave violation of their fundamental human rights.

Osigwe said, “This does not make us look good at all. It makes the credence of our correctional facilities and our pre-trial detention condition questionable and deplorable and portrays a negative image of us in the international community.

“Every effort must be made, either to release them (suspects) immediately on account of their long period of incarceration and be reunited with their families or if the Federal Government insists on trying them, they should be returned to the places where they were arrested, so that they will be close to their families and their families will be able to arrange for legal services for them and also be close to them and be able to follow the trial.

“It does not speak good of our criminal justice system that such children looking malnourished are being charged, showing that we have treated them poorly before their trial in court.”

A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Isiaka Olagunju, condemned the arraignment.

Advertisement

He said the law permits children to be arraigned in a family court rather than a Federal High Court, adding that justice administration was clearly stated in the Child Rights Act.

According to him, keeping the children in detention for more than 48 hours and their eventual arraignment at a Federal High Court was a gross violation of the provision of the Act and the entire constitution.

He said, “This is entirely a breach of the Child Rights Act, which is a part of the laws guiding the federation, but if they are minors, that means they are below the age of 18. The Child Rights Act talks about justice administration and that the child must be arraigned in accordance with the provision of that law.

“I think there is a charge administration in that law, which specifies specific offences and procedures to arraign a child. To arraign a child at a Federal High Court is a serious breach of the constitution and the Child Rights Act. It is highly inappropriate. By the provision of the constitution, you can only be detained for a maximum of 48 hours.

“They cannot keep a minor in custody with adults. They should be kept in juvenile detention, not in a police station. There should be a specific detention for children and not with adults. So, what they are doing is very wrong. Section 204 of the Child Rights Act, Laws of Federation states, ‘No child shall be subjected to the criminal justice process or criminal sanctions, but a child alleged to have committed an act which would constitute a criminal offence if he were an adult shall be subjected only to the child justice system and processes set out in this Act.’”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Odii’s Ebonyi Dream: Restructuring, Infrastructure, Healthcare, ICT Top Agenda

Published

on

Maduka University

The Executive Secretary of the Igbo Oriental Think Tank, Dr. Kenneth Anozie, has highlighted the vision of Dr. Chukwuma Anyichuks Odii for Ebonyi State ahead of the 2027 governorship election.

In a statement titled “Anyichuks Odii 2027: I Have a Dream for Ebonyi State,” Anozie compared Odii’s vision for Ebonyi with the transformational ideals associated with American civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.

According to the political analyst, Odii believes that Ebonyi State possesses enormous potential capable of benefiting the wider population rather than serving the interests of a few.

Anozie said Odii’s proposed agenda includes a restructuring of government to ensure equitable representation and development across the different zones of Ebonyi State.

He also listed improved infrastructure as a key component of Odii’s vision, particularly roads and other projects that would facilitate the movement of agricultural produce, stimulate industrial development and create employment opportunities for youths.

The analyst further said Odii plans to make the civil service more responsive to the needs of residents, establish major healthcare centres across the state’s local government areas to help reduce child mortality, and provide extensive ICT training for young people.

Anozie said the ICT initiative could position Ebonyi as a hub for technology talent, with trained professionals able to compete for opportunities locally and internationally.

“Anyichuks has a dream. Ndi Ebonyi need to cue in to that dream for the benefits of all,” Anozie said.

He urged Ebonyi residents to pay attention to the proposed agenda and participate actively in determining the direction of the state ahead of the 2027 election.

Dr. Kenneth Anozie is the Executive Secretary of the Igbo Oriental Think Tank and a political analyst.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun guber poll

Published

on

Maduka University

…Governor trounces APC’s Oyebamiji with 66,252

The Independent National Electoral Commission has declared Governor Ademola Adeleke, of the Accord Party, the winner of the 2026 governorship election.

Announcing the final results, INEC Returning Officer, Prof. Joshua Ogunwole, the Vice- Chancellor of the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti declared Adeleke winner and returned him elected.

Ogunwole announced that the Accord candidate secured 511,067 while his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress, recorded 444,815 votes.

Adeleke trounced his major opponent with 66,252 votes amid wild jubilation by party supporters and other residents.

Details later…

Continue Reading

News

Osun Guber: Adeleke Sweeps 19 LGAs, Oyebamiji Wins 11

Published

on

Maduka University

The Osun State Governor and Accord Party candidate, Ademola Adeleke, has won 19 of the 30 Local Government Areas in Saturday’s governorship election, while the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Oyebamiji, secured victory in 11 LGAs.Download Offline Maps

The results are being collated and announced, with the Independent National Electoral Commission expected to make the official declaration after the completion of the process.

Adeleke recorded notable victories across several parts of the state, including Ede South, Ede North, Osogbo, Ife Central, Ife East, Ife North, Ilesa West, Odo Otin, Egbedore and Iwo.

Oyebamiji, however, won key LGAs including Ilesa East, Boripe, Irepodun, Obokun, Atakumosa West, Atakumosa East, Irewole, Isokan, Ola-Oluwa, Ife South and Olorunda.

The results announced so far show a closely contested election between the two major candidates, with the other candidates recording significantly lower figures in most of the LGAs.Download Interactive Maps

In Boluwaduro, Adeleke polled 7,118 votes against Oyebamiji’s 7,050. In Ede South, Adeleke secured 26,188 votes while the APC candidate scored 6,219.

Adeleke also won Ife North with 13,879 votes to Oyebamiji’s 9,613; Ilesa West with 16,196 against 12,756; Ifedayo with 7,427 against 6,836; and Ife Central with 21,171 against 15,913.

In Osogbo, Adeleke recorded 36,480 votes while Oyebamiji polled 30,474. He also won Oriade with 21,343 votes to 14,863 and Odo Otin with 18,003 votes against 15,435.

Other LGAs won by Adeleke included Ife East, where he scored 27,201 votes against Oyebamiji’s 18,600; Ifelodun, 21,107 against 18,396; Iwo, 27,085 against 19,660; Ede North, 35,427 against 10,283; Ila, 16,211 against 12,934; Ayedire, 11,073 against 9,910; Egbedore, 19,278 against 11,194; and Ayedaade, 16,681 against 15,719.Design Campaign Signs

Oyebamiji secured victories in Ilesa East with 16,208 votes against Adeleke’s 12,280; Boripe with 19,963 against 12,448; Irepodun with 15,713 against 14,504; and Obokun with 16,120 against 12,023.

He also won Atakumosa West, polling 10,037 votes to Adeleke’s 7,479; Irewole, 29,972 against 10,934; Atakumosa East, 9,936 against 7,872; Isokan, 14,063 against 13,765; Ola-Oluwa, 10,782 against 10,063; Ife South, 14,678 against 13,507; and Olorunda, 24,671 against 23,514.

The outcome places Adeleke ahead in the overall LGA tally, although the final result remains subject to the completion of the official collation and declaration by INEC.
ads

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Osun 2026: Adeleke In Early Lead as INEC Uploads 903 Polling-Unit Results

Published

on

Maduka University
The early results emerging from Saturday’s Osun governorship election are beginning to give an indication of the direction of the race, with Governor Ademola Adeleke’s Accord Party taking an early lead in some of the polling-unit results uploaded by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

As of about 4:30pm on Saturday, INEC had uploaded 903 of the 3,763 expected polling-unit results to its Result Viewing Portal (IReV), representing about 24 per cent of the results expected across the state.

The emerging figures show Adeleke’s party making an early statement, particularly in Osogbo, where results from two polling units reviewed showed the Accord Party ahead of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

At Ward 4, Unit 39, Osogbo Local Government Area, Accord secured 65 votes, while the APC polled 43. The ADC recorded two votes, while ZLP, AA and AAC each scored one vote.

Another result from Ward 4, Unit 13, also in Osogbo, further tilted in favour of the Accord Party, which scored 134 votes against 75 votes for the APC. The ADC polled four votes, while ADP, AAC and APGA recorded one vote each.

The figures have placed Adeleke ahead in the early results emerging from the available uploads, although the lead cannot yet be treated as an indication of the final statewide outcome.

The race remains open, with thousands of polling-unit results still to be uploaded, verified and collated through the official INEC process.

The emerging results are nevertheless significant because they provide the first concrete picture of how the three leading contenders — Adeleke of the Accord Party, APC candidate Bola Oyebamiji and African Democratic Congress candidate Najeem Salaam — are performing in areas where results have been made available.

The early advantage for Adeleke comes after a tense election day marked by complaints over delays in the electronic transmission of results, alleged incidents of intimidation and vote-buying, as well as isolated reports of violence.

Adeleke had earlier expressed confidence in victory after casting his vote, while Oyebamiji also declared that he expected to win the contest. Salaam, meanwhile, raised concerns over the alleged non-recognition of some ADC agents and later reported an attack at his polling unit in Ejigbo.

Attention has now shifted from voting to the results battle, with parties and supporters closely monitoring the IReV portal and the official collation centres.

Continue Reading

News

#OsunDecides2026: Results emerge as voting ends, collations begins in units

Published

on

Maduka University
Voting has ended in some polling units across Osun State as voters complete accreditation and cast their ballots, with sorting and counting already underway and the first results beginning to emerge from different parts of the state.

Following the conclusion of voting, presiding officers have commenced the sorting and counting of ballots at polling units, with results beginning to emerge from different parts of the state in Saturday’s governorship election.

Three major candidates in the Osun governorship election had expressed confidence in emerging victorious as the polls entered the sorting and collation stage, with each candidate and their supporters optimistic about securing the mandate of the electorate.

Governor Ademola Adeleke of the Accord Party, on Saturday, expressed confidence in emerging victorious in the ongoing governorship election after casting his vote at Sagba Abogunde Ward 2, Unit 9, in Ede North Local Government Area.

Opposition candidate of the All Progressives Congress in Osun State, Bola Oyebamiji, who also voted at his Ward 09, Unit 011, Ikire, in the Irewole Local Government Area, expressed confidence in victory while speaking with journalists after casting his vote.

Meanwhile, the African Democratic Congress governorship candidate in Osun State, Najeem Salaam, raised concerns over the alleged non-recognition of his party agents in several areas across the state during Saturday’s election.

Meanwhile, as at 4.30pm, a check by our correspondent to the IReV portal indicated that 903 out of 3,763 units have been uploaded

Results announced so far:
1. Ward 4, Unit 39, Osogbo Local Government Area
ZLP — 1

AA — 1

AAC — 1

ADC — 2

APC — 43

Accord Party — 65

Presiding Officer: Oyeranmi Deborah

2. Ward 4, Unit 13, Osogbo Local Government Area
Accord Party — 134

APC — 75

ADC — 4

ADP — 1

AAC — 1

APGA — 1

Presiding Officer: Mabel Olowolayemo

3. From Ede North, 007/02/07/29

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending