Politics
Health FoI my most memorable bills –Jonathan

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has revealed that among the numerous bills he assented to while in office as president, three of them have remained very dear to his heart.
Jonathan gave the insight during his remarks as a special guest of honour at the opening of a three-day health summit organised by the Bayelsa State Government in Yenagoa, the state capital, on Monday.
He listed the three special bills as the National Health Bill, the Freedom of Information Bill and the Nigerian Local Content Bill establishing the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board.
Among the dignitaries at the event were Governor Douye Diri, Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire; Director-General, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu; WHO Country Representative, Dr Walter Mulombo; and Dr Osahon Enabulele, who was the keynote speaker.
The former President, however, said among the three pieces of legislation, the local content law was making the most impact because it provided for a board to oversee the activities of the NCDMB.
Jonathan said, “I thank the Honourable Minister (of Health) and the (state) Commissioner for Health who made reference to the National Health Bill that I signed into law in 2014. As president, I signed so many bills into law, government bills and private bills.
“But there are three bills that till today I am quite pleased that we signed into law. The National Health Bill is one of them. The second one is the Freedom of Information Bill that affects my good media people and the third is the Nigerian Local Content Bill.
“But the Local Content Law provides a board that manages the process; they are working very well and the results are obvious. But these other two are not because there is no ombudsman kind of to oversee what is being done.
“I believe that 30 to 40 per cent of doctors practising in Nigeria will not even know the details about that (National Health) Bill. So I will request the Honourable Minister, as you go back to Abuja; luckily from what you said, you are expanding on that Act, may be developing a manual to guide practitioners.
Politics
Enugu LGA Elections To Hold September As ENSIEC Releases Revised Timetable
In the revised timetable signed by ENSIEC Chairman, Prof. Chris Ngwu, the commission said the adjustment became necessary after the repeal of the Electoral Act 2022 and its replacement with the Electoral Act 2026.
The revised schedule aligns the electoral process with the new law and other relevant statutes guiding elections in the state. Newspapers
ENSIEC recalled that it had earlier published a notice of the elections on August 20, 2025, alongside an initial timetable. However, the updated framework now outlines a fresh sequence of activities leading up to the polls.
According to the commission, political party primaries will take place between January 23 and May 26, 2026, allowing parties to democratically nominate candidates in compliance with the Electoral Act 2026. Campaign activities are scheduled to begin on April 29, 2026, and will end on September 25, 2026, 24 hours before election day.
The submission of nomination forms by political parties is expected to close on May 29, 2026, while the publication of candidates’ personal particulars will follow on June 19, 2026. ENSIEC will release the final list of nominated candidates on July 27, 2026.
Other key milestones include the submission of polling agents by August 31, 2026, and the publication of the official notice of poll on September 11, 2026.
The commission confirmed that the local government elections will be held on September 26, 2026, with voting scheduled between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. using the open secret ballot system. In the event of inconclusive results, runoff or re-run elections will take place on October 10, 2026.
ENSIEC emphasized that the revised timetable was issued in exercise of its constitutional mandate and in compliance with the Electoral Act 2026 and other applicable laws.
Politics
Senator Loses APC Return Ticket, Declares War Against Governor
The Senator representing Kogi East Senatorial District, Jibrin Isah, has declared that “the battle line has been drawn” between him and Kogi State Governor, Ahmed Usman Ododo, following his defeat in the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial primary election.
Jibrin, one of seven aspirants in the contest, alleged widespread irregularities during the exercise, accusing government agents of hijacking electoral materials meant for the primary election.
Speaking after the primary, the senator expressed shock that only two votes were recorded in his favour in his own ward, insisting that electoral officials never arrived at the venue for voting.
According to him, he had gone to his ward to cast his vote but discovered that no electoral officer was present, adding that similar incidents were reported across several wards in the senatorial district.
He said the absence of electoral officials and voting materials prevented many APC members from participating in the exercise in affected areas.
The lawmaker alleged that the situation was a calculated move aimed at frustrating his supporters and manipulating the outcome of the primary election.
Jibrin maintained that his performance and projects across Kogi East had strengthened the APC in the district and would guarantee electoral victories for the party, including President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
He also said he had remained loyal to Governor Ododo and the leadership of the APC, questioning why he was allegedly being targeted despite his contributions and commitment to the party.
The senator further alleged that the governor moved against him after receiving information that he intended to contest the governorship seat in the future.
“Well, with the latest development, I will now contest for the governorship position against Governor Ododo when the time comes,” he said.
Jibrin called on the leadership of the APC to investigate the alleged hijacking of electoral materials and ensure fairness and transparency in the party’s internal electoral process.
Politics
APC Senate Primaries: ‘Senator’ Attacks Journalists in Ebonyi, Rochas Crashes Out as Abiodun, Uzodimma, Bello Win
The exercise produced one of the most striking outcomes in recent party history, with several political heavyweights — including former governors and serving powerbrokers — losing out, while a new set of influential figures secured the party’s senatorial tickets amid a mix of contested primaries, consensus arrangements, and disputed clearances.
Former Ogun State governors Gbenga Daniel (Ogun East) and Ibidapo Amosun (Ogun Central) shunned the exercise while Governor Hope Uzodimma of Imo State triumphed over ex-Governor Rochas Okorocha in the Imo West senatorial primary on Monday.
In Delta, Senator Ifeanyi Okowa defeated incumbent Ned Nwoko in Delta North while Senator Ede Dafinone overcame ex-Senate Deputy President, Ovie Omo-Agege in a tense poll in Delta Central.
Bigwigs like Senate President, Godswill Akpabio; Senate Leader Bamidele Opeyemi, Senator Ali Ndume, and Senator Adams Oshiomhole emerged as consensus aspirants in their various states.
Yahaya Bello wins
Former Kogi State governor Yahaya Bello staged a major political comeback after emerging winner of the APC senatorial primary for Kogi Central with a landslide victory.
Bello polled 72,399 votes to defeat Ibrahim Yakubu Adoje and Momoh Obaro.
In Kano North, Deputy Senate President Barau Jibrin also emerged through affirmation amid a massive show of support from party leaders and delegates.
Speaking after the exercise, Barau praised President Bola Tinubu and urged party supporters to remain loyal to the APC.
In Edo South, confusion trailed the APC primary after two separate victory claims emerged from rival camps.
Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama was officially declared winner by the APC collation committee after polling 27,154 votes ahead of Senator Neda Imasuen and Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu.
However, another faction reportedly declared Ize-Iyamu winner of the contest.
Imasuen rejected the entire process, describing it as manipulated.
“There is nothing satisfactory about this sham of an election,” he said. “Some ward chairmen openly told me the party had already adopted a preferred aspirant.”
In Oyo, the party recorded what officials described as a largely peaceful and orderly conduct of its senatorial primaries across the three senatorial districts of the state.
In Ebonyi State, the three APC incumbent senators — Senator Anthony Ani (Ebonyi South), Senator Onyekachi Nwebonyi (Ebonyi North), and Senator Kenneth Eze (Ebonyi Central) —were returned as the party’s candidates following what officials described as strict adherence to a consensus arrangement.
Their emergence came amid a relatively calm collation process in parts of the state.
However, tension erupted at the senatorial collation centre in Onueke, Ezza South Local Government Area, shortly after Senator Kenneth Eze was declared winner for Ebonyi Central by the electoral committee chairman, Senator Anthony Agbo.
The situation degenerated when journalists covering the exercise approached the senator for comments. Eyewitnesses said Eze became visibly agitated and accused some journalists of misrepresentation, refusing to grant interviews.
Attempts by the Ebonyi State NUJ Chairman, Samson Nwafor, to calm the situation reportedly failed, as suspected aides and loyalists of the senator allegedly attacked journalists and NUJ members at the venue, including Kizito Nwankwo.
The incident created panic at the collation centre, overshadowing what had earlier been described as a peaceful exercise.
In Ogun State, the APC senatorial primaries were marked by confusion over participation, high-profile withdrawals, and consensus arrangements across the three senatorial districts.
Deputy Governor Noimot Salako-Oyedele, former Governors Gbenga Daniel and Ibikunle Amosun were notably absent from the exercise in their respective senatorial districts, despite earlier indications of interest.
In Ogun West, reports indicated that only placards of Jimoh Ojugbele were displayed for voting, suggesting a consensus arrangement. A party source said all aspirants, including the deputy governor, stepped down for Ojugbele.
“It is about preserving party unity… everyone submitted to the party’s interest,” the source said.
Daniel’s media aide, Steve Oliyide, said the former governor stayed away from the primary for safety reasons, adding that the decision was to avoid violence.
“We don’t believe our ambition is worth the blood of anyone,” he said, noting that Daniel remained loyal to the party despite withdrawing from the contest.
In Ekiti State, all three incumbent senators secured return tickets for the APC ahead of 2027.
Senate Leader Opeyemi Bamidele emerged as the consensus candidate for Ekiti Central. Senator Yemi Adaramodu defeated former senator Biodun Olujimi with 12,200 votes against 7,420.
In Ekiti North, Senator Cyril Fasuyi also secured the ticket with 14,179 votes, defeating Senator Ayo Arise.
The exercise, which was held simultaneously across Oyo South, Oyo Central and Oyo North, covered nine local government areas in Oyo South, 11 in Oyo Central, and 13 in Oyo North, with voting taking place in hundreds of wards across the state.
Banigo-Harry, a serving senator and former deputy governor of Rivers State, described her exclusion as “an injustice to women and experienced legislators,” insisting she remained qualified to contest.
In contrast to the tension in Rivers, Akwa Ibom North West Senatorial District witnessed a smooth and celebratory affirmation process, where Senate President Godswill Akpabio emerged unopposed as the APC candidate.
In Lagos State, the APC also returned all three serving senators, Tokunbo Abiru (Lagos East), Wasiu Eshilokun-Sanni (Lagos Central), and Idiat Adebule (Lagos West), through consensus arrangements.
Governor Hope Uzodimma of Imo State was declared the winner of the senatorial primary election for Imo West Senatorial District.
The declaration was made on Monday by the Chairman of the House of Representatives Primary Elections Committee for Imo State, Rear Admiral Kayode Williams (retd.), who also served as the Returning Officer for the exercise.
Announcing the result, Williams said Uzodimma polled a total of 230,464 votes to defeat former Governor Rochas Okorocha, who scored 1,098 votes in the contest.
Former Kaduna State Governor, Mukhtar Ramalan Yero, emerged as the candidate for the Kaduna North Senatorial District.
Yero secured the ticket after defeating two other aspirants in a primary election held in Zaria on Monday, in a process that party officials described as peaceful and orderly.
44 aspirants disqualified
Before the primaries, 44 aspirants were disqualified by the APC screening committee, a development that immediately triggered protests, confusion and allegations of manipulation in several states.
The list, released by APC National Publicity Secretary, Felix Morka, showed that the affected aspirants were officially marked “Not Cleared” following the screening exercise conducted by the party.
Among the high-profile aspirants denied clearance was Oyo South hopeful, Mr. Kola Daisi, alongside several political heavyweights from Rivers, Zamfara, Kwara, Nasarawa, Plateau, Bayelsa, Cross River and other states.
The affected aspirants include Hamish Idris and Abdurman Kwacham from Adamawa North; Donald Daunemigita from Bayelsa West; Senator Benson Agadaga from Bayelsa East; Daniel Asuquo from Cross River South; and Oden Ewa from Cross River Central.
Others listed as “Not Cleared” include Dr. Marian Ogoh-Ali from Delta North; Senator Usman Wowo and Abubakar Abdullahi from the FCT; Adam Mohammed from Jigawa South/West; Senator Garba Mai Doki from Kebbi South; and Kollo Jiya from Kwara North.
The Oyo State chapter also recorded a wave of disqualifications involving Ademola Alli, Ajimobi Adegboyega, Faozey Nurudeen, Hameed Repete and Akinremi Bolaji.
Rivers State witnessed one of the heaviest casualties as prominent figures such as Chief Tamunobaabo Danagogo, Tein Jack-Rich, Ipalibo Banigo and Chief Barry Mwara were all denied clearance.
In the list released earlier, Senator Ben Murray-Bruce and four others were among 47 aspirants marked ‘Not cleared.’
However, an updated list was later released which reduced the number of affected aspirants from 47 to 44, with no explanation offered for the deletions, adding to the confusion which has clouded the exercise.
Morka stated, “The All Progressives Congress hereby releases an updated list of Senatorial aspirants not cleared to participate in the Party’s Senate Primary Elections. The APC urges all stakeholders to uphold transparency, orderliness, and the integrity of the ongoing Primary Election process.”
Murray-Bruce, who had represented Bayelsa East in the Senate, was among the most prominent names on the initial list released earlier the same day. His removal from the updated list, without any statement on his clearance status, was not explained by the party.
Also dropped from the list were Chimzobam Kingsley Nnalue (Anambra North), Gyang Yaya Zi San. (Plateau North), Napoleon Binkap Bah (Plateau South), and Usman Ephraim Gar (Plateau Central).
Two new names were added, Ibrahim Bala (Nasarawa West), listed as not cleared, and Abdulkarim Abubakar Kana (Nasarawa West), who was recorded as having voluntarily withdrawn.
The updated list also revised the status of some aspirants previously marked as “not cleared.”
Benson Agadaga (Bayelsa East) and Donald Daunemigita (Bayelsa West) were reclassified as voluntary withdrawals, while Garba Musa Mai Doki (Kebbi South) was listed as having defected, and Adam Mouktar Mohammed (Jigawa South/West) was recorded as having failed to appear for screening.
In Borno State, the three incumbent APC senators, Ali Ndume, Mohammed Monguno and Kaka Shehu Lawan, all emerged unopposed after affirmation exercises conducted in Maiduguri.
Politics
Enugu East: Beyond Sentiments, A Time for Fairness, Inclusion and Responsible Leadership
The recent sentiments and narratives over the Chairmanship position of Enugu East Local Government Area deserve calm reflection, objective analysis, and historical honesty rooted in fairness, equity, and the collective interest of the Nike people.
Politics
‘I regret trusting elders in the community, I know how much I gave them, only 14 voted for me’ – Cubana Chief Priest
Cubana Chief Priest was seeking the APC ticket for the Orsu/Orlu/Oru East Federal Constituency of Imo State ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The socialite, who serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the City Boys Movement, lost to the incumbent lawmaker representing the constituency, Canice Nwachukwu, after reportedly polling 14 votes.
Reacting to the outcome, Seyi shared a message of encouragement to the nightlife promoter in a post on his Instagram page on Sunday, which Cubana later reposted.
“Bro, sometimes by losing a battle, you find a new way to win the war. Keep your head up @cubana_chiefpriest. We know what you are capable of achieving,” Seyi wrote.
“I’m a hustler, and I didn’t regret trying to contest for a position. My only regret was trusting the elders in the community.
“I know how much I gave them, but only 14 people voted for me in the primary,” he said.
Cubana Chief Priest’s defeat sparked reactions on social media, with some users mocking his inability to secure the APC ticket despite his public support for the president.
-
Politics5 days ago2027: Makinde Joins Presidential Race, Declares on APM platform
-
Politics4 days agoFailed Consensus In Some States Raises Tension as APC primaries begin
-
News5 days agoMASSOB Declares Voluntary Sit-At-Home May 30th, Warns Against Forceful Compliance
-
News4 days ago2027: Atiku, Amaechi submit ADC presidential forms
-
Politics2 days ago‘I regret trusting elders in the community, I know how much I gave them, only 14 voted for me’ – Cubana Chief Priest
-
News3 days agoHon. Chukwunonso Okoye Declares for Anambra Assembly Under YPP
-
Crime2 days agoTension as terrorists attack 3 schools abduct over 45 pupils in Oyo
-
Politics20 hours agoEnugu East: Beyond Sentiments, A Time for Fairness, Inclusion and Responsible Leadership
