Connect with us
Maduka University Advert

Crime

Oil Magnate Slams N5bn Suit Against EFCC For Declaring Him Wanted

Published

on

Maduka University

 Signature Hotel and Total Grace Group Limited, Henry Akinduro, has challenged the decision of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), to declare him wanted over alleged fraud.

Akinduro claimed the anti-graft agency violated his fundamental human rights.

EFCC had in a statement via its X handle on Saturday declared Akinduro wanted in connection with fraud accusations laid by one Mr. Femi Olushakin.

The businessman has therefore filed a N5billion lawsuit against the commission for allegedly declaring him wanted unlawfully.

Advertisement

In the suit filed on Wednesday at the Federal High Court, Lagos, Akinduro told the court that the anti-corruption agency took the action wanted without any form of judicial intervention, recourse to constitutional safeguards or order of court.

Akinduro’s legal team, led by renowned lawyer, Olakekan Ojo (SAN), in a statement saud that the fraud allegation against Akinduro was baseless and ill-motivated.

Akinduro’s legal team argued that the petition against him was simply an attempt to criminalise a contractual disagreement, stemming from a business arrangement with Olushakin.

The matter, according to the legal team, was already before the courts before EFCC declared Akinduro wanted, as both parties had engaged in a civil lawsuit (Suit No: I/875/2024), regarding their investment agreement.

“Our client considers this online publication detrimental to his reputation and believes it to be an unjustified attack by the EFCC,” the statement read.

Advertisement

It further elaborated that Akinduro has responded to the disputes through responsible legal channels rather than engaging in fraudulent activities.

The suit filed by Akinduro claimed harassment through the misuse of state resources, urging the courts to affirm that their disagreements are purely civil in nature.

Meanwhile, Olushakin’s counterclaim demanded substantial sums purportedly owed for investment returns, further complicating the ongoing legal battle.

Akinduro, maintaining his innocence, called for a fair legal process, asserting that he is presumed innocent until proven otherwise. His legal team said it was determined to rectify what it described as unfounded and malicious allegations, fueled by conflicts in their investment dealings.

“While we acknowledge the fact that the said online publication must have caused grave concern to our client’s friends and business associates, we consider it imperatively necessary to put the records straight with a view to showing that the fraud allegations are trumped-up allegations aimed at causing incalculable damage to the hard earned but richly deserved reputation of Dr. Henry Akinduro.”

Advertisement

The legal team also said “the commercial or contractual disputes had earlier been referred to competent Court by the parties before the Publication of the name of our Client on the list of wanted persons by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

“In Suit No:I/875/2024, to wit, Total Grace Group Ltd and Dr. Henry Akinduro v. Femi Olushakin, our Client claimed inter alia, a declaration that the relationship between the claimants and the defendant is that which is civil and contractual in nature, and that the continuous threat, harassment, and molestation of the claimants by the defendant, use of security state apparatus over the said disagreement is wrongful and unlawful.

“Our Client, Dr Henry Akinduro, has always responded either by way of tenable correspondences, letters, and further replies to the processes through our Office as his lawyers showing his sense of responsibility and seriousness towards the investment agreement between the.

“Our client has taken further legal actions towards establishing with compelling finality that the fraud allegations made against him are unfounded, groundless, baseless and ill-motivated.

“It is pertinent to stress that our client is presumed innocent by constitutional fiat until contrary is proved or established.

Advertisement

“At all material times, we will expect for your perception of our Client, to accommodate this benefit of doubt while we await the Honourable Court to judicially apportion rights and liabilities in the civil suit which Mr. Femi Olushakin, using the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, has unilaterally, unlawfully and maliciously framed as a criminal action in a ploy to sabotage the business interests and noble person of our Client, Dr. Henry Akinduro.

“Our Client wishes to restate his confidence in the judicial process, which he believes will vindicate him.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Enugu Govt Urges Residents to Use 112 Emergency Line as Crime Drops by 80%

Published

on

Maduka University

The Enugu State Government has urged residents to make use of the 112 toll-free emergency line to access prompt security services anywhere in the state.

The Senior Special Assistant to Governor Peter Mbah on Security, Mr Vincent Onyeabor, made the call on Monday during an ongoing journalists’ tour of projects executed by the state government.

The journalists visited various workstations at the Command-and-Control Centre in Enugu, where Onyeabor explained how the state’s emergency response system operates.

He said the state had adopted the National Emergency Number 112 as its official emergency security services line, with a dedicated workstation at the Command-and-Control Centre receiving calls round the clock.

According to him, personnel manning the 112 workstation work in shifts to ensure that emergency reports are promptly received, processed and escalated to the appropriate security agencies for immediate action.

“The 112 toll-free line section can trigger action in terms of security emergency situations.

“The section will escalate the information received to the Command-and-Control Centre, Enugu, which can use the state-wide fibre cameras to trace the security or crime situation.

“The section can also escalate the information to the nearest Distress Response Squad (DRS) vehicle to take action,” he said.

Onyeabor urged residents to take advantage of the emergency line and continue to report security incidents to enable the authorities to respond quickly.

“Our people should take advantage of the 112 toll-free line as we want the calls to keep coming,” he said.

He added that residents could also contact the security response team through 09134666668 and 09134448093.

Onyeabor further attributed an estimated 80 per cent reduction in crime in the state to the government’s investment in technology-driven security infrastructure.

He listed the fibre-enabled surveillance cameras, Command-and-Control Centre, 112 emergency response system, drone technology and mobile statewide DRS squad among the measures deployed to strengthen security across the state.

Continue Reading

Crime

Okigwe Road: The ‘Uniformed Robbery’ Motorists Can No Longer Ignore

Published

on

Maduka University

The alleged daylight robbery of motorists and commuters by men in military and police uniforms along the Okigwe axis of the Enugu–Port Harcourt Road is becoming too brazen to ignore.

For motorists travelling from Enugu towards Okigwe, the ordeal reportedly begins shortly after Lokpanta, where a series of checkpoints can quickly turn an ordinary journey into an encounter with fear, intimidation and demands for money.

What makes the situation particularly disturbing is the difficulty in identifying the security personnel manning some of these checkpoints. On some occasions, their vehicles are unmarked. At other times, motorists say it is difficult to determine whether the men are police officers, soldiers or personnel of another security formation.

Yet, according to accounts from commuters and motorists, the alleged modus operandi remains remarkably similar.

A commercial bus is stopped and searched. Two or three young passengers may be singled out and labelled “Yahoo boys” — a term commonly used to describe suspected internet fraudsters. From there, an alleged demand for money follows, with some victims reportedly told to produce N50,000 or more.

The demand, according to the accounts, is often required in cash.

The victim is then left with little choice but to mount an okada to the nearest Point-of-Sale terminal, frequently around the Hausa settlement at Lokpanta, withdraw the demanded cash and return to the checkpoint.

For private motorists, the allegation takes a slightly different form. The vehicle may suddenly be described as stolen or suspicious. Instead of a formal verification process, the alleged encounter reportedly degenerates into negotiation, with the motorist expected to pay an agreed amount before being allowed to continue the journey.

Then the checkpoint goes back to business as usual.

The most troubling aspect of these allegations is not merely the money reportedly extorted from motorists. It is the mystery surrounding the identity and authority of the men operating the checkpoints.

Who are they?

Which security formation do they belong to?

Who deployed them?

And under whose authority are they operating?

One victim reportedly became so concerned about the identity of the personnel that he contacted an Army officer for assistance. The officer, in turn, reportedly reached out to police and Army formations in Abia State to establish whether the men were operating under their command.

The response, according to the victim’s account, was that none of the formations contacted recognised the team as theirs.

That raises an even more disturbing question: if they are not from Abia, Imo, Ebonyi or Enugu security formations, where exactly did they come from?

The Enugu–Port Harcourt corridor is one of the most important transportation routes in the Southeast. Thousands of people use it daily for business, work, family commitments and interstate travel. Security checkpoints are supposed to provide protection, prevent crime and reassure travellers.

They should not become sources of fear.

Of course, legitimate security operations must be distinguished from allegations of criminal conduct. Police officers and soldiers have a responsibility to stop suspected criminals, inspect vehicles and investigate suspicious movements. But where money is demanded from citizens without transparent legal justification, where suspects are allegedly forced to withdraw cash from POS operators, and where the identity of the personnel involved cannot be established, the matter demands urgent investigation.

There is also a wider security concern.

If genuine security personnel are involved, their respective commands need to identify them and establish whether their conduct is authorised.

If they are not genuine security personnel, then the possibility of criminals impersonating police officers or soldiers becomes even more serious.

Either way, the authorities cannot afford to look away.

The repeated complaints from motorists along the Okigwe axis deserve more than informal assurances. The police, Army and other relevant security agencies should investigate the checkpoints, establish the identity of the personnel operating them and make public the formations responsible for security operations along the route.

The Abia State, Imo, Enugu and Ebonyi Government and the relevant local authorities also have a responsibility to demand answers.

For too long, motorists have reportedly endured harassment, intimidation and alleged extortion along this stretch of road.

The question is no longer whether travellers are complaining.

They are.

The real question is: who are the men behind these checkpoints, who authorised them, and why are motorists allegedly being forced to pay cash before they can continue their journeys?

That question requires an answer — and it requires one urgently.

Continue Reading

Crime

Breaking: Knight Attacks Catholic Priest After Mass in Enugu

Published

on

Maduka University

By Chinedu Sabastine

ENUGU — A Catholic priest, Rev. Fr. Valentine Chimaobi Nwajiagu, was allegedly attacked on Sunday by a member of the Knights of St. John International, Sir Iyke Nwatakwocha, at St. Anthony Catholic Church, New GRA, Trans-Ekulu, Enugu East Local Government Area of Enugu State.

The incident reportedly occurred shortly after the 6am Mass, during which Fr. Nwajiagu participated in a priestly exchange programme at the parish.

Fr. Nwajiagu is the Assistant Parish Priest of Assumption Catholic Church, Nkwo Nike, Enugu.

Sources said Nwatakwocha, who was allegedly visibly angry, confronted the priest and damaged his vehicle. He was also said to have threatened some worshippers who attempted to intervene.

The reason for the alleged confrontation was not immediately known as of the time of filing this report.

However, some worshippers claimed that the same individual had allegedly confronted Fr. Nwajiagu earlier in the year at his parish, raising concerns that Sunday’s incident may have been a recurrence.

The worshippers urged the Catholic Diocese of Enugu to investigate the incident and take appropriate measures to prevent further confrontation involving the priest.

The allegations could not be independently verified as of press time.

Efforts to obtain the reactions of Fr. Nwajiagu, Nwatakwocha, the Knights of St. John International and the Catholic Diocese of Enugu were ongoing as of the time of filing this report.

Continue Reading

Crime

Army Destroys Three Suspected IPOB/ESN Camps, Kills Three in Anambra

Published

on

Maduka University

Troops of the newly established 15 Brigade of the Nigerian Army have dismantled three suspected IPOB/ESN camps and recovered weapons, explosives, and other logistics during an operation in Anambra State.

The operation was conducted in the early hours of Saturday, August 15, 2026, following intelligence on the activities of suspected IPOB/ESN members operating around Osuakwa, along the boundary between Ihiala and Ogbaru Local Government Areas.

The troops, operating under Joint Task Force South East, Operation UDO KA, carried out the operation alongside personnel of the Department of State Services and members of the Agunechemba Vigilante Group.

According to the Nigerian Army on X on Saturday, the joint force came under hostile fire during the operation but “responded decisively, overwhelming the criminals after a fierce firefight.”

A cache of weapons, explosives and other items, including one FN rifle with 10 rounds of 7.62mm NATO ammunition, one pump-action shotgun with five cartridges and 15 sticks of dynamite, four motorcycles, one gas cylinder, three hybrid batteries, two car batteries and three handheld radio chargers.

The Army said three suspected IPOB/ESN members were killed during the operation, while the three camps were successfully overrun and destroyed.

Troops also recovered a cache of weapons, explosives and other items, including one FN rifle with 10 rounds of 7.62mm NATO ammunition, one pump-action shotgun with five cartridges and 15 sticks of dynamite.

Other recovered items included four motorcycles, one gas cylinder, three hybrid batteries, two car batteries and three handheld radio chargers.

Further exploitation of the area led to the arrest of a suspected IPOB/ESN member identified as Chijioke, alongside a man and a woman suspected of being accomplices. The three were reportedly found in the company of six children.

The Commander of 15 Brigade commended the troops, DSS personnel and members of the Agunechemba Vigilante Group for their “courage, discipline and outstanding inter-agency cooperation.”

He described the operation as “another major setback for criminal and terrorist elements seeking to undermine peace and security in the South East.”

The Nigerian Army also assured residents that the newly established brigade would continue to sustain intelligence-led operations in collaboration with other security agencies and local stakeholders.

The Brigade said it remains committed to “denying all criminal elements freedom of action” and ensuring the safety and security of law-abiding residents across Anambra State and the wider South-East region.

Continue Reading

Crime

Jezco Chairman, Joseph Ebere Ezeokafor, Regains Freedom After Ransom Negotiations

Published

on

Maduka University

Chief Sir Joseph Ebere Ezeokafor, chairman of Jezco Group of Companies, popularly known as Jezco, has regained his freedom after spending several days in the custody of his abductors.

Ezeokafor, the father of popular social media personality Jowi Zaza, was abducted in the early hours of Tuesday while on his way to a prayer ground in Awka, Anambra State.

The businessman was reportedly released near the boundary between Anambra and Enugu States, close to Ebenebe, near Awka. A family member was said to have picked him up late at night after his release.

His freedom followed ransom negotiations between the kidnappers and his family. The abductors had initially demanded N700 million before reportedly increasing the ransom to N1.5 billion.

However, following negotiations, the family eventually agreed to pay an undisclosed amount to secure his release.

Details of the final amount agreed upon, including whether the full sum was paid before or after his release, were not immediately available.

His release has brought relief to his family, friends, business associates and well-wishers, following widespread concern over his abduction across Anambra State and beyond.

Ezeokafor is the founder of Jezco Oil and Lubricants, a company he established in 1980 and subsequently expanded into other areas of manufacturing and business.

The circumstances surrounding the abduction and release, as well as the identities of the abductors, remain unclear.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending