Connect with us
Maduka University Advert

News

MTN, Glo, others begin disconnection of phone lines not linked to NIN

Published

on

Maduka University

Telecommunications operators are expected to start disconnecting mobile telephone lines that are not linked to National Identification Numbers, following the expiration of the September 14 deadline set by the Nigerian Communications Commission.

The NCC said in a statement in August that it expected that no SIM card would remain active without a verified NIN from September 15.

The telecom regulator had encouraged subscribers who were yet to complete their NIN-SIM linkage or have faced issues due to verification mismatches to visit their service providers promptly to update their details before the deadline.

As of March 2024, data from the NCC showed 219 million active lines across mobile networks such as MTN, Glo, Airtel, and 9mobile, with 153 million already linked to NIN.  This leaves approximately 66 million unlinked lines at risk of disconnection.

Advertisement

Between July 28 and 29, millions of lines were temporarily barred due to unverified NINs, causing widespread disruptions in the country. The NCC had reversed its decision, giving subscribers more time to comply. However, with the deadline now expired, disconnections will commence.

An NCC official, who requested anonymity as he was not authorised to comment on the matter, dismissed any possibility of an extension.

“We will disconnect anyone who refuses to comply; the grace period is over. The reason why we extended the last time was the misconception of Nigerians who claimed that the NCC wanted to frustrate the August 1 protest.”

The official clarified that the commission has no intention of deliberately disconnecting subscribers. “A significant number of Nigerians have opted not to link their SIMs to their NIN for various reasons.

“While there may be challenges at the Centres, it remains crucial to revisit and complete the process. Let me be clear—there will be no further extensions,” the official emphasised.

Advertisement

A few weeks ago, subscribers expressed frustration over the challenges they face in uploading their details on the National Identity Management Commission portal.

The President of the National Association of Telecommunications Subscribers, Adeolu Ogungbanjo, described the situation as “terrible” after visiting some telecom centres, including MTN and Airtel.

He told our correspondent earlier that the existing portal challenges are obstructing the timely completion of the NIN-SIM linkage, adding, “Without immediate action, subscribers will struggle to meet the deadline.”

He pleaded that the NCC should consider extending the deadline due to the technical issues that marred the process of registration last week.

“NCC must be commended after a series of extensions but I believe they can still do that for maybe one week,” he said.

Advertisement

In March, the NIMC and NCC strengthened their partnership to streamline the NIN-SIM linkage process. Both agencies launched public awareness campaigns, stakeholder training, and the dissemination of accurate information to help citizens comply with the directives.

According to financial results from the first half of 2024, MTN Nigeria and Airtel Africa barred a combined 13.5 million lines for non-compliance with the NIN-SIM linkage directive.

MTN reported it had blocked 8.6 million lines, while Airtel stated that 8.7 million of its customers had completed verification.

The compulsory linkage of NIN with SIM cards began in December 2020, when the government ordered telcos to bar unregistered SIMs and those without NIN links.

Following multiple deadline extensions by the NCC since December 2023, April 15, 2024, was set as the final deadline for fully barring subscribers with four or fewer SIMs having unverified NIN details.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Odii’s Ebonyi Dream: Restructuring, Infrastructure, Healthcare, ICT Top Agenda

Published

on

Maduka University

The Executive Secretary of the Igbo Oriental Think Tank, Dr. Kenneth Anozie, has highlighted the vision of Dr. Chukwuma Anyichuks Odii for Ebonyi State ahead of the 2027 governorship election.

In a statement titled “Anyichuks Odii 2027: I Have a Dream for Ebonyi State,” Anozie compared Odii’s vision for Ebonyi with the transformational ideals associated with American civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.

According to the political analyst, Odii believes that Ebonyi State possesses enormous potential capable of benefiting the wider population rather than serving the interests of a few.

Anozie said Odii’s proposed agenda includes a restructuring of government to ensure equitable representation and development across the different zones of Ebonyi State.

He also listed improved infrastructure as a key component of Odii’s vision, particularly roads and other projects that would facilitate the movement of agricultural produce, stimulate industrial development and create employment opportunities for youths.

The analyst further said Odii plans to make the civil service more responsive to the needs of residents, establish major healthcare centres across the state’s local government areas to help reduce child mortality, and provide extensive ICT training for young people.

Anozie said the ICT initiative could position Ebonyi as a hub for technology talent, with trained professionals able to compete for opportunities locally and internationally.

“Anyichuks has a dream. Ndi Ebonyi need to cue in to that dream for the benefits of all,” Anozie said.

He urged Ebonyi residents to pay attention to the proposed agenda and participate actively in determining the direction of the state ahead of the 2027 election.

Dr. Kenneth Anozie is the Executive Secretary of the Igbo Oriental Think Tank and a political analyst.

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun guber poll

Published

on

Maduka University

…Governor trounces APC’s Oyebamiji with 66,252

The Independent National Electoral Commission has declared Governor Ademola Adeleke, of the Accord Party, the winner of the 2026 governorship election.

Announcing the final results, INEC Returning Officer, Prof. Joshua Ogunwole, the Vice- Chancellor of the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti declared Adeleke winner and returned him elected.

Ogunwole announced that the Accord candidate secured 511,067 while his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress, recorded 444,815 votes.

Adeleke trounced his major opponent with 66,252 votes amid wild jubilation by party supporters and other residents.

Details later…

Continue Reading

News

Osun Guber: Adeleke Sweeps 19 LGAs, Oyebamiji Wins 11

Published

on

Maduka University

The Osun State Governor and Accord Party candidate, Ademola Adeleke, has won 19 of the 30 Local Government Areas in Saturday’s governorship election, while the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Oyebamiji, secured victory in 11 LGAs.Download Offline Maps

The results are being collated and announced, with the Independent National Electoral Commission expected to make the official declaration after the completion of the process.

Adeleke recorded notable victories across several parts of the state, including Ede South, Ede North, Osogbo, Ife Central, Ife East, Ife North, Ilesa West, Odo Otin, Egbedore and Iwo.

Oyebamiji, however, won key LGAs including Ilesa East, Boripe, Irepodun, Obokun, Atakumosa West, Atakumosa East, Irewole, Isokan, Ola-Oluwa, Ife South and Olorunda.

The results announced so far show a closely contested election between the two major candidates, with the other candidates recording significantly lower figures in most of the LGAs.Download Interactive Maps

In Boluwaduro, Adeleke polled 7,118 votes against Oyebamiji’s 7,050. In Ede South, Adeleke secured 26,188 votes while the APC candidate scored 6,219.

Adeleke also won Ife North with 13,879 votes to Oyebamiji’s 9,613; Ilesa West with 16,196 against 12,756; Ifedayo with 7,427 against 6,836; and Ife Central with 21,171 against 15,913.

In Osogbo, Adeleke recorded 36,480 votes while Oyebamiji polled 30,474. He also won Oriade with 21,343 votes to 14,863 and Odo Otin with 18,003 votes against 15,435.

Other LGAs won by Adeleke included Ife East, where he scored 27,201 votes against Oyebamiji’s 18,600; Ifelodun, 21,107 against 18,396; Iwo, 27,085 against 19,660; Ede North, 35,427 against 10,283; Ila, 16,211 against 12,934; Ayedire, 11,073 against 9,910; Egbedore, 19,278 against 11,194; and Ayedaade, 16,681 against 15,719.Design Campaign Signs

Oyebamiji secured victories in Ilesa East with 16,208 votes against Adeleke’s 12,280; Boripe with 19,963 against 12,448; Irepodun with 15,713 against 14,504; and Obokun with 16,120 against 12,023.

He also won Atakumosa West, polling 10,037 votes to Adeleke’s 7,479; Irewole, 29,972 against 10,934; Atakumosa East, 9,936 against 7,872; Isokan, 14,063 against 13,765; Ola-Oluwa, 10,782 against 10,063; Ife South, 14,678 against 13,507; and Olorunda, 24,671 against 23,514.

The outcome places Adeleke ahead in the overall LGA tally, although the final result remains subject to the completion of the official collation and declaration by INEC.
ads

Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Osun 2026: Adeleke In Early Lead as INEC Uploads 903 Polling-Unit Results

Published

on

Maduka University
The early results emerging from Saturday’s Osun governorship election are beginning to give an indication of the direction of the race, with Governor Ademola Adeleke’s Accord Party taking an early lead in some of the polling-unit results uploaded by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

As of about 4:30pm on Saturday, INEC had uploaded 903 of the 3,763 expected polling-unit results to its Result Viewing Portal (IReV), representing about 24 per cent of the results expected across the state.

The emerging figures show Adeleke’s party making an early statement, particularly in Osogbo, where results from two polling units reviewed showed the Accord Party ahead of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

At Ward 4, Unit 39, Osogbo Local Government Area, Accord secured 65 votes, while the APC polled 43. The ADC recorded two votes, while ZLP, AA and AAC each scored one vote.

Another result from Ward 4, Unit 13, also in Osogbo, further tilted in favour of the Accord Party, which scored 134 votes against 75 votes for the APC. The ADC polled four votes, while ADP, AAC and APGA recorded one vote each.

The figures have placed Adeleke ahead in the early results emerging from the available uploads, although the lead cannot yet be treated as an indication of the final statewide outcome.

The race remains open, with thousands of polling-unit results still to be uploaded, verified and collated through the official INEC process.

The emerging results are nevertheless significant because they provide the first concrete picture of how the three leading contenders — Adeleke of the Accord Party, APC candidate Bola Oyebamiji and African Democratic Congress candidate Najeem Salaam — are performing in areas where results have been made available.

The early advantage for Adeleke comes after a tense election day marked by complaints over delays in the electronic transmission of results, alleged incidents of intimidation and vote-buying, as well as isolated reports of violence.

Adeleke had earlier expressed confidence in victory after casting his vote, while Oyebamiji also declared that he expected to win the contest. Salaam, meanwhile, raised concerns over the alleged non-recognition of some ADC agents and later reported an attack at his polling unit in Ejigbo.

Attention has now shifted from voting to the results battle, with parties and supporters closely monitoring the IReV portal and the official collation centres.

Continue Reading

News

#OsunDecides2026: Results emerge as voting ends, collations begins in units

Published

on

Maduka University
Voting has ended in some polling units across Osun State as voters complete accreditation and cast their ballots, with sorting and counting already underway and the first results beginning to emerge from different parts of the state.

Following the conclusion of voting, presiding officers have commenced the sorting and counting of ballots at polling units, with results beginning to emerge from different parts of the state in Saturday’s governorship election.

Three major candidates in the Osun governorship election had expressed confidence in emerging victorious as the polls entered the sorting and collation stage, with each candidate and their supporters optimistic about securing the mandate of the electorate.

Governor Ademola Adeleke of the Accord Party, on Saturday, expressed confidence in emerging victorious in the ongoing governorship election after casting his vote at Sagba Abogunde Ward 2, Unit 9, in Ede North Local Government Area.

Opposition candidate of the All Progressives Congress in Osun State, Bola Oyebamiji, who also voted at his Ward 09, Unit 011, Ikire, in the Irewole Local Government Area, expressed confidence in victory while speaking with journalists after casting his vote.

Meanwhile, the African Democratic Congress governorship candidate in Osun State, Najeem Salaam, raised concerns over the alleged non-recognition of his party agents in several areas across the state during Saturday’s election.

Meanwhile, as at 4.30pm, a check by our correspondent to the IReV portal indicated that 903 out of 3,763 units have been uploaded

Results announced so far:
1. Ward 4, Unit 39, Osogbo Local Government Area
ZLP — 1

AA — 1

AAC — 1

ADC — 2

APC — 43

Accord Party — 65

Presiding Officer: Oyeranmi Deborah

2. Ward 4, Unit 13, Osogbo Local Government Area
Accord Party — 134

APC — 75

ADC — 4

ADP — 1

AAC — 1

APGA — 1

Presiding Officer: Mabel Olowolayemo

3. From Ede North, 007/02/07/29

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending