
News
Jailbreak: 3 inmates recaptured as flood submerges 70% of Maiduguri, FG opens IFP Camp

Thousands of Maiduguri inhabitants have been displaced, with the Nigerian Correctional Service recapturing three inmates after a jailbreak, while 80 per cent of animals at the Sanda Kyarimi Park zoo died as Borno State suffered its most devastating flood disaster in 30 years, The PUNCH reports.
Following the disaster, President Bola Tinubu, who’s currently abroad, called for the immediate evacuation of residents in communities overtaken by floods.
Seventy per cent of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, has been submerged by the fast-moving waters, according to the National Emergency Management Agency, while the flood also ravaged other major city locations, including the palace of the Shehu of Borno, Umar Ibn Garbai El-Kanemi, the state secretariat, post office, cemetery, Lagos Area, Bulabulin, Gwange, Monday Market, University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital and Kofar Shehu.
“Some locations that I personally know and consider to be high ground, from the report we received, are already underwater, including Lagos Street, the market area, the palace of the Shehu of Borno, at least the front of the palace, we can see water there,” NEMA spokesman, Manzo Ezekiel said.
“About 70 per cent of the town is already underwater. So, many people are trapped as the flood intensified when people were sleeping; some people woke up to discover that they were inside water.”
The NEMA spokesperson said Borno’s flat ground geology made it easier for water to flow into passage areas in Maiduguri city, adding that the flood began after the Alau Dam overflowed following heavy rains.
“The overflow of the main source of the dam in Borno State, called Alau Dam, has brought the city to be underwater since last weekend. So, our attention now and our energy are geared towards providing necessary support, by way of search and rescue, and supporting people that have been impacted. That is what we are doing now.”
Manzo said NEMA could not ascertain the number of displaced people as at the time of filing this report, but estimated that with about 70 per cent of the town underwater, then about 70 per cent of the over 800,000 Maiduguri residents might have been affected.
Displaced persons relocated
State government efforts to relocate displaced residents were ongoing, according to the NEMA spokesperson, who added that three Internally Displaced People Camps had been opened to accommodate those affected.
“Our search and rescue team are already working with the state officials of the state emergency management agency, providing support to people affected by the flood. By the way, what is happening in Maiduguri is something that was not envisaged, and that it will be to this extent. The flooding has exceeded the forecast made because of what is happening in Maiduguri today (Tuesday).”
Manzo said city residents moved to a higher ground when the initial flood happened in Gwangi. However, the higher ground has been overtaken by water, leading the state government to open the Bakasi Camp, a bigger area, for people to move into.
“Our team is on ground there, and we are working with the state emergency management agency to provide the necessary support, and to save lives from the flooding,” Manzo added.
“Initially, about three camps were open in Gwangi, but with this situation now, people have moved to join their relations on the higher ground, and those that do not have relations in the higher part of the town, have moved to Bakasi Camp.”
The Borno State Emergency Management Agency described the flooding as terrible.
The Director-General of the agency, Barkindo Muhammad, said, “We went for a rescue and proceeded to distribute sandbags in Gozari. As I am talking to you now (on the telephone) I am trapped; we came to rescue some people and we are now trapped.”
Already, several institutions and government agencies have shut down, with the University of Maiduguri closed until further notice
“Homes are submerged, schools shut down & businesses crippled as people evacuate with their belongings,” UNCHR Nigeria stated on its X handle.
Floods have killed at least 229 people so far this year, displaced around 386,239 more and affected 94,491 houses in parts of the country but mainly in the northern region. At least 125,805 hectares of farmland have also been affected, NEMA figures showed.
Tinubu intervenes
President Tinubu expressed deep concerns over the flooding in Maiduguri and tasked relevant government agencies to expedite rescue efforts.
“While relevant authorities are still assessing the damage wrought by the flood, the President calls for the immediate evacuation of people from affected areas,” a statement signed by the President’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga.
“He orders the National Emergency Management Agency to assist the flood victims.”
Vice President Kashim Shettima arrived in Maiduguri Tuesday to conduct an on-the-ground assessment of the devastating floods.
Shettima directed government agencies to provide immediate relief to the affected communities.
“Homes, institutions, government agencies, and other businesses have been submerged in the flood. Many people are trapped and are trying to evacuate. I’m worried that the situation may get worse unless the Federal Government immediately steps in to assist the state government in salvaging the situation.”
Jailbreak
Reports say over 200 inmates escaped from the Maiduguri correctional facility after a portion of the facility’s parameter fence was pulled down in the aftermath of the flood.
The floodwaters ravaged the facility’s security, damaged barriers and weakened its structure, leading to the escape of the inmates.
The spokesperson for the Nigeria Correctional Service Borno Command, Bala Adamu, confirmed the jailbreak. He stated that following a manhunt for the escapees, three were recaptured on Tuesday.
“We are still assessing the number of inmates who escaped from the prison. As of now, we have recaptured three of the escapees,” Adamu said.
Meanwhile, the NCoS said it was taking decisive measures to manage the fallout from its Medium Security Custodial Centre in Maiduguri.
The NCoS spokesperson, Umar Abubukar, said the service had launched an emergency plan that included evacuating inmates to safer facilities, coordinating with security and emergency agencies for support, and ensuring continuous operation of its services.
Abubukar noted that the NCoS officials were working diligently to manage the situation and secure the safe transfer of inmates.
News
2027: Odii Unveils 5,000-Unit Housing Plan, Digital Loans for Ebonyi Workers

ABAKALIKI — The 2027 governorship race in Ebonyi State is gathering momentum, with the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Chief Ifeanyi Odii, unveiling a package of reforms aimed at improving the welfare of workers, teachers and retirees.
Odii made the commitments during a meeting with representatives of Ebonyi civil servants and members of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) at his Lagos residence, where he outlined his plans for a comprehensive reform of the state’s public service.
A major component of his agenda is a workers’ housing scheme designed to provide 1,000 housing units within his first year in office and up to 5,000 units over four years if elected governor.
Odii said the housing programme would be structured to minimise dependence on direct government funding, with workers’ contributions and existing pension assets forming part of the financing framework.
He said the initiative would address the housing difficulties faced by workers and retirees, particularly retirees who often struggle to sustain rented accommodation after leaving government service.
The PDP candidate also proposed a paperless digital loan platform that would allow workers to access loans against their contributory pension savings without the bureaucratic delays associated with the existing system.
On retirement benefits, Odii pledged that workers would have access to their entitlements immediately upon retirement, arguing that retirees should not endure prolonged delays in receiving benefits accrued during their years of service.
He further promised to reform the promotion process through computer-based promotion examinations capable of producing results instantly.
According to him, the digital system would reduce delays, curb opportunities for manipulation and promote greater transparency and fairness in the career progression of civil servants.
Odii said the proposed reforms were aimed at creating a public service where workers would have improved access to housing, credit facilities and timely retirement benefits, while ensuring a more transparent promotion system.
He presented the proposals as part of his broader agenda to improve workers’ welfare and reposition the Ebonyi State civil service for greater efficiency if elected governor in 2027.
News
MainPower Disco Confirms Staff Accidental Death, Debunks Sabotage Claims

The MainPower Electricity Distribution Limited (MEDL) has confirmed the death of one of its operations staff in an electrical accident.
The Head of Communications, MEDL, Mr Emeka Ezeh, who confirmed the incident in Enugu on Monday, said that the incident occured on Aug. 13 at Eke in Udi Local Government Area of Enugu State.
Ezeh said that the incident, which occurred at about 1p.m., involved Mr. Samson Okechi, the Team Lead, Abor, attached to the company’s 9th Mile District.
He said, “Okechi was carrying out maintenance work on a 50kVA/11kV pole-mounted distribution substation at Eke when he sustained an electric shock.
“Okechi was immediately evacuated to Our Saviour Hospital, Ngwo, for medical attention but was pronounced dead by the doctor on duty. His remains were subsequently deposited at a mortuary.”
He said that the incident was formally reported at the Ngwo Police Station for documentation and other necessary statutory actions.
Ezeh also debunked claims circulating on some social media platforms that Okechi was murdered or that the incident was the result of sabotage.
“I wonder why some people take pleasure in conjuring unfounded narratives and circulating them, thereby creating unnecessary tension and bad blood. This is so unfair,” he said.
He urged members of the public to disregard the claims, describing them as baseless.
According to him, Okechi had requested a Station Guarantee (SG) for the Okwe 11kV Feeder, which was granted at about 11:06 a.m. at the 9th Mile Injection Substation. The feeder was subsequently opened and tagged.
“This is a very unfortunate development and a big shock to all of us, his colleagues. Our hearts go out to his immediate family as they grieve,” Ezeh said.
The MEDL spokesman disclosed that MainPower management had commenced a comprehensive investigation to establish the immediate, underlying and root causes of the accident.
He said, “We are committed to ensuring that the investigation is thorough and evidence-based.
“The findings will be used to identify any gaps, determine appropriate corrective measures, and strengthen safety procedures and operational controls where necessary.”
Ezeh MEDL assured its customers and stakeholders that safety remained a paramount priority in its operations, adding that appropriate measures would be taken based on the outcome of the investigation.
News
BREAKING: Edo House of Assembly Elects New speaker

Idiaye, a third-term lawmaker, takes over from Blessing Agbebaku, who resigned as Speaker on Monday amid moves by lawmakers to impeach him.
The emergence of Idiaye was said to have been influenced by the gentleman’s zoning arrangement in the Assembly, which provides that when the governor is from the Edo Central Senatorial District, the Speaker should come from Edo North.
Idiaye, being the oldest member from the Edo North Senatorial District, was subsequently elected Speaker.
Without the zoning arrangement, the Deputy Speaker would have automatically succeeded Agbebaku, according to the new Speaker.
Members of the Assembly were at the Government House to inform Governor Monday Okpebholo of the change in leadership.
Agbebaku was said to have resigned early on Monday following alleged moves by lawmakers to impeach him.
Reports gathered that 17 of the 24 lawmakers had signed a notice of impeachment on Sunday night, a development that may have prompted his resignation.
Agbebaku’s resignation was confirmed by Ebojele, who said details of the development would be made public later.
She said, “I can confirm the Speaker’s resignation but details will be made public later.”
News
Confusion In House of Assembly As Speaker Resigns

The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has resigned from his position.
Agbebaku stepped down on Monday amid moves by some lawmakers to impeach him.
His resignation was confirmed on Facebook by his media aide, Ivy Adodo-Ebojele, who said further details on the circumstances surrounding his exit would be made public later.
“EDO ASSEMBLY SPEAKER RT HON CHIEF BLESSING AGBEBAKU RESIGNS,” she wrote.
The development has thrown the Edo State House of Assembly into a fresh leadership crisis, with lawmakers expected to determine a new Speaker.
Details shortly…
News
Odii’s Ebonyi Dream: Restructuring, Infrastructure, Healthcare, ICT Top Agenda


The Executive Secretary of the Igbo Oriental Think Tank, Dr. Kenneth Anozie, has highlighted the vision of Dr. Chukwuma Anyichuks Odii for Ebonyi State ahead of the 2027 governorship election.
In a statement titled “Anyichuks Odii 2027: I Have a Dream for Ebonyi State,” Anozie compared Odii’s vision for Ebonyi with the transformational ideals associated with American civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.
According to the political analyst, Odii believes that Ebonyi State possesses enormous potential capable of benefiting the wider population rather than serving the interests of a few.
Anozie said Odii’s proposed agenda includes a restructuring of government to ensure equitable representation and development across the different zones of Ebonyi State.
He also listed improved infrastructure as a key component of Odii’s vision, particularly roads and other projects that would facilitate the movement of agricultural produce, stimulate industrial development and create employment opportunities for youths.
The analyst further said Odii plans to make the civil service more responsive to the needs of residents, establish major healthcare centres across the state’s local government areas to help reduce child mortality, and provide extensive ICT training for young people.
Anozie said the ICT initiative could position Ebonyi as a hub for technology talent, with trained professionals able to compete for opportunities locally and internationally.
“Anyichuks has a dream. Ndi Ebonyi need to cue in to that dream for the benefits of all,” Anozie said.
He urged Ebonyi residents to pay attention to the proposed agenda and participate actively in determining the direction of the state ahead of the 2027 election.
Dr. Kenneth Anozie is the Executive Secretary of the Igbo Oriental Think Tank and a political analyst.
-
Crime4 days agoBREAKING! Jezco CEO Kidnap: Ransome rises to N1.5bn After Family Agrees to N700m
-
Foreign4 days agoFamily Seeks Help to Locate Enugu Man in Dallas After Viral Social Media Post
-
News4 days ago15 Dead, 200 Buildings at Risk as Sand Mining Ravages Anambra Community
-
Entertainment5 days agoLawyer Urges Davido to Apologise to Edo Governor Over WAEC Result Post
-
Health5 days agoEnugu pledges commitment to support NCDC to facilitate health security projects, initiatives
-
News4 days agoAnambra NDC Crisis Deepens As 2 Contending Aspirants Lose Assembly Ticket
-
Crime4 days agoSuspected Kidnapper Arrested While Attempting to Buy N1.6m Rifle
-
Health3 days agoPeter Obi, Chinyeaka Ohaa Visit Parklane Hospital in Solidarity With Kidney Patients

