Connect with us
Maduka University Advert

Crime

Police told me to avoid some Lagos bus-stops – Robbery victim

Published

on

Maduka University
A resident of Lagos State, Mistura Olowu-Oyebayo, has narrated how some officers of the Lagos State Police Command allegedly warned her against alighting or stopping at some bus-stops in the state when she visited the Alapere Divisional Headquarters to report how she was brutalised and robbed at around Tipper bus-stop, Ketu.

Bewildered Olowu-Oyebayo wondered why those expected to secure the lives and property of citizens would tell her to avoid some bus-stops – Ketu Tipper bus-stop, Church bus-stop, Toll Gate, Ogudu bus-stop, Glass House, including Kosofe area – adding that she was not in doubt that the police knew how deadly those bus-stops were and had done nothing to rid them of criminals.

Narrating her ordeal to our correspondent, Olowu-Oyebayo said she was returning from her office on the Island on Friday, November 25, and owing to the traffic on her way, the staff bus she boarded got to Tipper bus-stop, Ketu, at around 8:00pm.

“It was around five minutes to eight (7:55pm) that I alighted at the bus-stop and I waited for other people to join me as I usually do so that we could move together. I saw two guys at the front and somehow I became suspicious. I asked those we were walking down together if they weren’t suspicious of the two men at our front, but they dismissed my fears and we continued walking.

“Before we knew it, some men started walking towards us from the back and the ones at our front suddenly stopped. Seeing that I was already panicking, those we were walking together started flagging down oncoming cars to see if any would stop to pick us from the place.

Advertisement

“The guys behind us and those ahead now rushed closer to us and one of them started saying ‘Collect her bag, collect her bag.’ On hearing that, I held tight to my bag. Two of them descended on me and began to drag my handbag with me while others were hitting me.

“By this time, those men we were walking together had fled from the scene, perhaps to see if they could get help.

“People were passing by and vehicles were driving by, but no one cared to help me. Instead, people close to the area moved away to a safe distance.

“I held on to my handbag and with my laptop back on my back, I fell to the ground so that the criminals would not be able to take my laptop bag.

“They dragged me on the ground, pulled my hair, beat and injured me until I could no longer hold on to my handbag.

Advertisement

“By the time the men who were walking with me earlier would return with some other people, the criminals had taken my handbag and fled,” she narrated.

Olowu-Oyebayo said the criminals also went away with her mobile phones and bank (ATM) cards.

She expressed surprise that some traders around there told her that she should not have alighted around there at that time of the night, adding that the traders said it was a regular occurrence in the area by “Flower boys.”

She said on getting home later that night, she tried to use her husband’s phone to block her bank accounts but she realised that the money in one of the accounts had been cleared by the criminals.

Having been advised to report the incident at a police station, especially because she lost her ID card and office access card, Olowu-Oyebayo said she visited the Alapare police station as directed by a team of policemen on patrol on the day after the incident.

Advertisement
According to her, the police patrol team had seen and picked up her ID card at the scene of the incident, and they handed it over to her before directing her to go to Alapere police station for an official report.

She said, “On getting to the police station at Alapere with my husband, the officers on duty, after taking my statement, affirmed that they were aware of the criminal activities around Tipper bus-stop.

“To my shock, one of them advised me against stopping at Ketu Tipper bus-stop, Church bus-stop, Toll Gate, Ogudu bus-stop, Glass House, including Kosofe area whenever I’m coming from the office in the evening.

“I was shocked because I couldn’t imagine the fact that the police were aware of these criminal activities and nothing was being done about them. It was also shocking that those who are supposed to protect us are telling us to run away from bus-stops instead of ridding those bus-stops of criminals and making Lagos safe for all.”

She added, “One of the officers said those boys seemed to rub oil or okra on their bodies whenever they went for such operations. The officer, a female, said she had once caught one of the criminals but he slipped from her hands because of what he rubbed on his body.

Advertisement

“Another officer said sometimes the boys would be operating behind them while on patrol and there was no way they could cover everywhere at the same time.

“I wonder who to trust for our security in this state and nation if our police are talking this way. Obviously, there is more to these crimes than meet the eye.”

Our correspondent reached out to the Lagos State Police Command spokesperson, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, regarding the incident and the PPRO said he was hearing such complaint for the first time and promised to take it up.

“This is new to me and I’m hearing it for the first time. We are going to investigate the matter.

“If truly police officers said that, then it’s an indictment on the profession and it’s highly unprofessional, because rather than curb the crimes in those area, citizens are being told to avoid the areas.

Advertisement

“But as I said, we will look into it,” SP Hundeyin said.

“Again, I will like to advise the victim to bring this to the notice of the Divisional Police Officer, because he is responsible for the security in that area. This is why, since I came on board, I’ve continued to publish the phone numbers of all divisional police officers on my social handles and my WhatsApp profile. That’s because I want every citizen to have access to the DPOs.

“And being senior officers, your information is safer with them.

“At my own end, I will ensure that those areas are no longer known for such crimes,” Hundeyin added.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

End of the Road: Man Dies While Attempting to Steal Transformer Cables

Published

on

Maduka University

A young man suspected of attempting to steal cables from a transformer was found dead after reportedly being electrocuted along Trademore Road in Lugbe, Abuja, in the early hours of Friday.
The deceased was reportedly found crouched and lifeless near the transformer, with his body said to have become stiff, suggesting he may have been electrocuted when power was restored.
Residents said there had been no electricity supply in the area on Thursday night before the incident occurred.
The discovery attracted a crowd of residents, who expressed concern over the increasing activities of cable vandals in different parts of the Federal Capital Territory.
Rasheed Ogunyemi, a resident of Iddo Seriki along the Airport Road, said residents in his area often contribute money to repair their transformer, only for vandals to return and cut the cables.
The FCT Police Public Relations Officer, SP Josephine Adeh, confirmed the incident, stating that the deceased’s body had been evacuated and deposited at a mortuary in Gwagwalada for autopsy.

Continue Reading

Crime

Over 60 Worshippers Abducted as Terrorists Attack Niger Mosque During Prayer

Published

on

Maduka University

More than 60 worshippers are feared to have been kidnapped from the Central Mosque in Dekara town, Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, during Jumu’at prayers on Friday.

The incident occurred when suspected terrorists, said to be operating in large numbers, stormed the mosque while the prayers were ongoing.

According to sources, the attackers fired several shots before rounding up some of the worshippers and taking them into the surrounding forest.

A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Borgu Local Government Area witnessed several security incidents on Friday, including attacks on three communities.

“So many things happened in Borgu LGA on Friday. Terrorists attacked three communities, including Dekara. In Dekara, they went to the Central Mosque while Jumu’at prayer was ongoing and kidnapped more than 60 people. But they did not injure anybody,” the resident said.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Crime

APC Chairman Dies After Collapsing at Reconciliation Meeting

Published

on

Maduka University

The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ijumu Local Government Area of Kogi State, Oyewole Mayowa Solomon, has died after reportedly collapsing during a party reconciliation meeting in Iyara, the council headquarters.

Solomon reportedly slumped suddenly while participating in the meeting convened on Friday by a former Ijumu council chairman, Funsho Olumoko, as part of efforts to resolve internal disagreements and promote unity among APC stakeholders in the area.

An eyewitness said the incident caused confusion among participants, who immediately attempted to revive the party chairman before rushing him to a hospital in Kabba.

He reportedly died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

The development shocked party leaders and other stakeholders who had gathered for the reconciliation meeting, which was aimed at strengthening the APC ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Advertisement

The meeting was expected to bring together party leaders, ward and local government executives, women and youth leaders, as well as government appointees from the 15 wards in Ijumu.

The incident occurred amid renewed efforts by APC stakeholders in the council to resolve longstanding disagreements and restore unity within the local chapter.

Earlier in the month, party leaders in Ijumu had endorsed President Bola Tinubu and Kogi State Governor, Usman Ododo, for second terms.

However, that gathering was reportedly disrupted by disagreements over the leadership of the local government, with Solomon and some other officials said to have walked out of the meeting.

Olumoko, who organised Friday’s reconciliation meeting, had previously been mandated by the Ijumu Consultative Forum to facilitate dialogue among political stakeholders in the council.

Advertisement

Solomon’s sudden death is expected to create fresh uncertainty around the ongoing reconciliation efforts within the Ijumu APC, coming barely two weeks after stakeholders renewed calls for unity ahead of the 2027 elections.

The cause of his death had not been officially disclosed as of the time of filing this report, while efforts to obtain an official reaction from the APC were ongoing.

Continue Reading

Crime

BREAKING: ADC Chairman in Enugu Dies in Suspected Murder, Two Arrested

Published

on

Maduka University

Tension and grief have gripped the political community in Enugu State following the suspected murder of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) Chairman in Udenu Local Government Area, Chisimdiri Emmanuel Ngwu.

Ngwu, described as one of the longest-serving members of the ADC in the state, was reportedly found dead in the early hours of Wednesday, August 19, 2026, under circumstances that have raised concerns among his family, friends and political associates.

A family source told our correspondent that Ngwu woke up early on Wednesday, left the house and never returned alive.

The source said the family became worried after they noticed he was missing, only to later discover his lifeless body outside the compound.

“We woke up and didn’t see him, only to discover his lifeless body in front of our compound,” the source said.

Advertisement

The source further alleged that scratches were found around Ngwu’s neck and that his neck appeared to have been twisted backwards, raising suspicions about the circumstances of his death.

The incident has sparked concern within the ADC in Udenu and the wider political community in Enugu State, with calls for security agencies to thoroughly investigate the matter and bring anyone found responsible to justice.

Meanwhile, two persons have reportedly been arrested in connection with the incident.

Their identities and the specific circumstances surrounding their arrest were not immediately known as of press time.

Ngwu’s death has since sent shock waves through the ADC, with party members and associates mourning his death and demanding a transparent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Crime

Anambra Police Arrest Four Over Alleged Murder of 56-Year-Old Man in Awkuzu

Published

on

Maduka University

The Anambra State Police Command has uncovered the circumstances surrounding the alleged murder of a 56-year-old man, Mr Kelechi Madu, in Awkuzu, Oyi Local Government Area, two days after he was reported missing.

The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Friday, August 21, 2026, by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, who said the breakthrough followed a coordinated search and investigation by police operatives, local vigilantes and members of the deceased’s family.

Madu was reported missing by his wife on August 18, after he reportedly left home on the evening of August 17 and failed to return.

According to the Command, the search for the missing man took a grim turn later that day when his wife returned to the police station to report that he had been found dead in a nearby bush at Umuobi, Awkuzu.

Police operatives immediately mobilised to the scene, where they found Madu’s lifeless body with a deep axe wound to his head. His remains were subsequently evacuated and deposited at a hospital mortuary for preservation.

Advertisement

Following the discovery, detectives intensified their investigation and arrested the deceased’s 32-year-old friend, Mr Ifeanyi Nwankwo, who allegedly confessed to being involved in the planning of the killing.

Preliminary findings by the Command indicated that Nwankwo allegedly obtained money from Madu through fraudulent means, claiming he would assist him in acquiring a piece of land.

Police alleged that the suspect subsequently engaged two other persons to eliminate Madu in an attempt to conceal the alleged fraudulent transaction and prevent the victim from recovering the money.

The Command said two other suspects linked to the alleged plot were also arrested, bringing the number of persons apprehended in connection with the case to four.

The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, psc, mnips, has directed investigators to intensify the probe and identify every person involved in the alleged conspiracy and murder.

Advertisement

The CP vowed that all persons found culpable would be brought to justice.

The Command, through Ikenga, assured residents that it would continue to strengthen intelligence-led policing and community partnerships to prevent violent crimes, uncover criminal networks and ensure that perpetrators face the full weight of the law.

Headline

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending