
News
Hunger protest: 17 killed, FG Complex looted, APC Secretariat razed

•OPS counts losses as banks, ports, offices shut, FG begs protesters, NBA offers free legal services
No fewer than 17 persons were feared killed in Abuja, Kano, Niger, Borno, Kaduna and Jigawa during the #Endbadgovernance protest which was held across the country on Thursday.
One person was shot dead in Abuja and Kano, two killed in Jigawa, six others were reportedly gunned down by security forces in Niger, while four died in Borno and three in Kaduna.
Man strips himself naked to protest hardship in Lagos.
The rally began peacefully but took a violent turn in some cities leading to violent confrontations between the police and the protesters.
Businesses, banks, shopping plazas and some markets did not open for fear of the protests escalating into a crisis.
In Abuja, the demonstration claimed a victim, who was shot dead along the Kubwa expressway.
An eyewitness, who identified herself as Ekaete, said the man, whose identity could not be immediately confirmed, was gunned down after the protesters became violent and blocked the highway.
‘’I was waiting for a bus on the expressway when the protesters in their numbers blocked the highway and harassed motorists. But as they became violent, the police fired live shots, killing the young man. Everybody took off on seeing the man fall,’’ she narrated.
The police also had another encounter with protesters at the Eagles Square, Three Arms Zone, located a few metres from the Presidential Villa.
A group of protesters converged on the Eagles Square, chanting the old “Arise, O Compatriots” national anthem and demanding an end to bad governance in the country.
In response, the security operatives fired a couple of teargas canisters to discourage the protesters, who only shouted back in defiance.
Shortly after, the Minister of State for Youth Development, Ayodele Olawande, arrived at the scene and attempted to address the protesters, who shouted him down with chants of “hunger dey.”
However, he called for calm, stating that he wasn’t attempting to shut down the protest but to encourage them to be civil.
“I’m not here to fight you, I’m not here to ask you not to protest, it is your right. Like I said, I’ve been to over 100-500 protests,’’ Olawande stated.
But things quickly escalated upon the minister’s exit as the operatives fired more toxic gas and pepper spray, dislodging the protesters at about 10:30am after first firing warning non-lethal shots at the ground.
#EndBadGovernanceInNigeria Protest
Courageously, a female protester confronted the police officers, holding up her baby and daring them to shoot.
She told journalists that she showed up at the protest with her baby after bandits killed her husband in Katsina.
“I came to protest the hardship in Nigeria and the police are shooting teargas at us. Do they also want to kill my baby? People cannot eat. Things are hard,” the protester, who did not disclose her name, said.
The policemen in a helicopter also fired teargas at a group of protesters occupying the city gate.
Some protesters had earlier gathered at the Moshood Abiola National Stadium as early as 6am, in compliance with a court order earlier obtained by the FCT administration on Wednesday, restricting them to the stadium.
Hoodlums loot the NCC Industrial Park in Kano State on Thursday.
They, however, resisted the police directive to hold their rally inside the stadium.
They later moved to the Eagle Square, when they learnt some protesters were being harassed by security forces.
Before then, five bus-loads of pro-government protesters were brought to the stadium.
The placard-carrying youths said they were opposed to the hunger protest.
One of them admitted that they were promised N5,000 each to stage a counter-protest.
Hoodlums loot the NCC Industrial Park in Kano State on Thursday.
“They (organisers) picked us up and said they would give us N5,000 to protest against these people. I have collected N2,000 and I am waiting for my balance. I am hungry but the money given to him would not solve my problem,” he said.
The Director of Mobilisation, Take It Back Movement, Damilare Adenola, said the protest would continue until President Bola Tinubu acceded to their demands.
The protesters are demanding the reversal of petrol pump price to N100/litre, an end to insecurity, the closing of IDP camps and electoral reform, among other things.
Adenola said, “The various orders of court restricting protesters to particular locations are an aberration. Our presence here today is an announcement that we have been oppressed for too long. Today, we have risen.
“We are saying that unless President Bola Tinubu acceded to our demands, we will remain on the streets. We want to see the President on the streets. During the protest, he was on the streets.”
One of the organisers of the protest, Michael Lenin, said it would continue on Friday (today) regardless of the intimidation by the security agencies.
He said, “The protest will continue. We are not intimidated by what the security agencies do. This government does not appear like one ready to listen to the citizens with the way protesters were attacked today. We are resolute; until he meets our demands, we will remain on the streets.“
Elsewhere in Abuja, protesters, including women and young children, blocked the main road linking Karu-Kurudu and Karshi, chanting “Bamayi Tinubu”, meaning “We don’t want Tinubu.”
Some protesters were seen holding cudgels, while a few others held leaves as they turned back vehicles and blocked all movements.
Two persons were reportedly hit by stray bullets at the popular sharp corner in Mararaba, Karu Local Government Area in Nasarawa State, a suburban border town to Abuja where most civil servants working in the FCT live.
Sounds of gunshots were heard as the protesters occupied the Abuja-Keffi highway and setting up bonfires.
As the tension and confrontation between the security agencies and protesters increased, the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, called for dialogue, saying the government was willing to discuss with the youths.
Wike, who was later spotted at the Presidential Villa, appealed to protesters in the nation’s capital to “sit down” with the government and pursue dialogue, describing it as a better peace process.
Wike said this in his address during the presentation of the Staff of the Office to four newly graded chiefs in Abuja.
He said, “We have seen severally that it is better to dialogue; it is better to sit down and iron out issues with the government. I want you to continue with that peace process, and he who makes peace, will at the end of the day, enjoy the dividend of peace.”
“I want to commend you and still talk to our people, appeal to them that we are still ready to sit with them and dialogue with them, and iron out the grey areas.”
In Niger State, about six people were reportedly killed by the police while 11 persons were arrested for allegedly attempting to set ablaze Tafa LGA secretariat during the protest.
The command’s spokesperson, SP Waisu Abiodun, disclosed in Minna on Thursday that some hoodlums partially burnt part of the secretariat and looted valuable items.
Abiodun was silent on the number of persons killed during the incident.
He explained that at about 9:30 am, some miscreants from Tafa area of Kagarko LGA of Kaduna State and Hayin-Diko of Gurara Council Area of Niger stormed the secretariat located in Sabon-Wuse along Abuja-Kaduna expressway.
Abiodun said the hoodlums vandalised and partially set ablaze the secretariat, burnt two vehicles as well as vandalised two others.
He said the hoodlums went further to loot valuables inside offices in the secretariat, adding that in the process, police and other security agencies responded to the scene.
News
Osun 2026: APC Rejects Adeleke’s Victory, Begins Audit of Election Results

OSOGBO — The All Progressives Congress (APC) has rejected the outcome of the August 15, 2026, Osun State governorship election as declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), insisting that it is not convinced that Governor Ademola Adeleke secured the highest number of valid votes.
INEC on Sunday declared Adeleke the winner after the Returning Officer, Prof. Joshua Olalekan Ogunwale, announced the final results at the commission’s headquarters in Osogbo.
Adeleke, who contested on the platform of the Accord Party, polled 511,067 votes to defeat the APC candidate, Asiwaju Bola Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes. The African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate, Dr Najeem Salaam, came third with 17,180 votes.
However, the APC said it would not accept the declaration without conducting a comprehensive review of the electoral process.
Speaking on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme on Monday, the Director-General of the APC campaign for the Osun governorship election, Hon. Oluwole Oke, said the party had commenced an audit of the results and electoral materials from the poll.
Oke said the party had directed its agents across the state to submit relevant result sheets for scrutiny as it investigates alleged infractions.
“We need to do the needful which is to evaluate the process, review the process and then form an opinion. We’ve embarked on an audit process; we’ve asked all our party agents to submit copies of Form EC8A, B, C to our secretariat for review. We need to inspect all the materials because we do not agree with the declaration of INEC, and that’s our position for now,” he said.
The APC campaign chief also dismissed suggestions that the party was under pressure to immediately accept the outcome following President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s congratulatory message to Adeleke.
Tinubu had congratulated Adeleke after the declaration, describing the outcome as a reflection of the will of the people.
Reacting to the President’s position, Oke said Tinubu spoke in his capacity as President and a democrat following INEC’s declaration.
“Mr. President spoke as the Father of the nation and a democrat following the declaration by INEC,” he said.
Oke, however, maintained that the APC would rely on its own assessment of the election after completing its review.
“We’re on ground and politics is local and, like I’ve told you, what we’re doing is to conduct a thorough review of the entire process and form an opinion,” he said.
He added that the party would not be rushed into congratulating Adeleke, insisting that its preliminary position was that the governor did not secure the highest number of valid votes.
“We won’t be under any subtle pressure to easily reach out to congratulate Senator Ademola Adeleke because we believe he didn’t score the highest valid votes,” Oke said.
The APC is expected to determine its next course of action after completing its audit and reviewing the electoral materials and results submitted by its agents.
News
2027: Odii Unveils 5,000-Unit Housing Plan, Digital Loans for Ebonyi Workers

ABAKALIKI — The 2027 governorship race in Ebonyi State is gathering momentum, with the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Chief Ifeanyi Odii, unveiling a package of reforms aimed at improving the welfare of workers, teachers and retirees.
Odii made the commitments during a meeting with representatives of Ebonyi civil servants and members of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) at his Lagos residence, where he outlined his plans for a comprehensive reform of the state’s public service.
A major component of his agenda is a workers’ housing scheme designed to provide 1,000 housing units within his first year in office and up to 5,000 units over four years if elected governor.
Odii said the housing programme would be structured to minimise dependence on direct government funding, with workers’ contributions and existing pension assets forming part of the financing framework.
He said the initiative would address the housing difficulties faced by workers and retirees, particularly retirees who often struggle to sustain rented accommodation after leaving government service.
The PDP candidate also proposed a paperless digital loan platform that would allow workers to access loans against their contributory pension savings without the bureaucratic delays associated with the existing system.
On retirement benefits, Odii pledged that workers would have access to their entitlements immediately upon retirement, arguing that retirees should not endure prolonged delays in receiving benefits accrued during their years of service.
He further promised to reform the promotion process through computer-based promotion examinations capable of producing results instantly.
According to him, the digital system would reduce delays, curb opportunities for manipulation and promote greater transparency and fairness in the career progression of civil servants.
Odii said the proposed reforms were aimed at creating a public service where workers would have improved access to housing, credit facilities and timely retirement benefits, while ensuring a more transparent promotion system.
He presented the proposals as part of his broader agenda to improve workers’ welfare and reposition the Ebonyi State civil service for greater efficiency if elected governor in 2027.
News
MainPower Disco Confirms Staff Accidental Death, Debunks Sabotage Claims

The MainPower Electricity Distribution Limited (MEDL) has confirmed the death of one of its operations staff in an electrical accident.
The Head of Communications, MEDL, Mr Emeka Ezeh, who confirmed the incident in Enugu on Monday, said that the incident occured on Aug. 13 at Eke in Udi Local Government Area of Enugu State.
Ezeh said that the incident, which occurred at about 1p.m., involved Mr. Samson Okechi, the Team Lead, Abor, attached to the company’s 9th Mile District.
He said, “Okechi was carrying out maintenance work on a 50kVA/11kV pole-mounted distribution substation at Eke when he sustained an electric shock.
“Okechi was immediately evacuated to Our Saviour Hospital, Ngwo, for medical attention but was pronounced dead by the doctor on duty. His remains were subsequently deposited at a mortuary.”
He said that the incident was formally reported at the Ngwo Police Station for documentation and other necessary statutory actions.
Ezeh also debunked claims circulating on some social media platforms that Okechi was murdered or that the incident was the result of sabotage.
“I wonder why some people take pleasure in conjuring unfounded narratives and circulating them, thereby creating unnecessary tension and bad blood. This is so unfair,” he said.
He urged members of the public to disregard the claims, describing them as baseless.
According to him, Okechi had requested a Station Guarantee (SG) for the Okwe 11kV Feeder, which was granted at about 11:06 a.m. at the 9th Mile Injection Substation. The feeder was subsequently opened and tagged.
“This is a very unfortunate development and a big shock to all of us, his colleagues. Our hearts go out to his immediate family as they grieve,” Ezeh said.
The MEDL spokesman disclosed that MainPower management had commenced a comprehensive investigation to establish the immediate, underlying and root causes of the accident.
He said, “We are committed to ensuring that the investigation is thorough and evidence-based.
“The findings will be used to identify any gaps, determine appropriate corrective measures, and strengthen safety procedures and operational controls where necessary.”
Ezeh MEDL assured its customers and stakeholders that safety remained a paramount priority in its operations, adding that appropriate measures would be taken based on the outcome of the investigation.
News
BREAKING: Edo House of Assembly Elects New speaker

Idiaye, a third-term lawmaker, takes over from Blessing Agbebaku, who resigned as Speaker on Monday amid moves by lawmakers to impeach him.
The emergence of Idiaye was said to have been influenced by the gentleman’s zoning arrangement in the Assembly, which provides that when the governor is from the Edo Central Senatorial District, the Speaker should come from Edo North.
Idiaye, being the oldest member from the Edo North Senatorial District, was subsequently elected Speaker.
Without the zoning arrangement, the Deputy Speaker would have automatically succeeded Agbebaku, according to the new Speaker.
Members of the Assembly were at the Government House to inform Governor Monday Okpebholo of the change in leadership.
Agbebaku was said to have resigned early on Monday following alleged moves by lawmakers to impeach him.
Reports gathered that 17 of the 24 lawmakers had signed a notice of impeachment on Sunday night, a development that may have prompted his resignation.
Agbebaku’s resignation was confirmed by Ebojele, who said details of the development would be made public later.
She said, “I can confirm the Speaker’s resignation but details will be made public later.”
News
Confusion In House of Assembly As Speaker Resigns

The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has resigned from his position.
Agbebaku stepped down on Monday amid moves by some lawmakers to impeach him.
His resignation was confirmed on Facebook by his media aide, Ivy Adodo-Ebojele, who said further details on the circumstances surrounding his exit would be made public later.
“EDO ASSEMBLY SPEAKER RT HON CHIEF BLESSING AGBEBAKU RESIGNS,” she wrote.
The development has thrown the Edo State House of Assembly into a fresh leadership crisis, with lawmakers expected to determine a new Speaker.
Details shortly…
-
Foreign5 days agoFamily Seeks Help to Locate Enugu Man in Dallas After Viral Social Media Post
-
News5 days agoAnambra NDC Crisis Deepens As 2 Contending Aspirants Lose Assembly Ticket
-
Health4 days agoPeter Obi, Chinyeaka Ohaa Visit Parklane Hospital in Solidarity With Kidney Patients
-
Crime4 days agoEnugu: Police arrest 14 kidnap suspects, recover cache of arms, ammunition
-
Crime2 days agoArmy Destroys Three Suspected IPOB/ESN Camps, Kills Three in Anambra
-
News4 days agoMainPower calls for partnership, support to improve electricity service delivery
-
Crime4 days agoWoman poisons husband 40 days after wedding
-
Business5 days agoPatience Jonathan Hails Azikel Boss Eruani as ‘Small Boy’ She Mentored Into Billionaire League

