Connect with us
Maduka University Advert

Crime

Ebonyi Community records 3 deaths.. points accusing fingers at LG boss

Published

on

Maduka University

The people of Amaeze Ishiagu community in Ivo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, have accused the council chairman, Chief Onyebuchi Ogbadu, of protecting criminals in the area.

The community which lost about three persons recently through acts of violence identified the Council Chairman as the brain behind their travails.

An elder and Community leader specifically accused the Council boss of shielding the group behind the recent killing of innocent people.

The community had in a petition to Governor David Umahi through their lawyer, Patrick Egwu, lamented that it lost over three persons to acts of violence between March and June this year while many others sustained injury.

One of the community leaders, Chief Gilbert Okorie, who briefed reporters in Abakaliki, blamed a group of thugs said to be working for one of the prominent politicians in the community.

Advertisement

He listed those killed in the attacks as Denis Chibueze Igwe and Orji Paul, saying the later’s corpse was dumped in a quarry.

Insisting Ogbadu was shielding the group, he said: “People that are not from Amaeze wouldn’t have been coming from another community to attack the people of Amaeze and be killing them without the council chairman knowing it and the chairman has been mute in all these things.”

Reacting on the matter, however, the spokesperson of the Ebonyi State Police Command ASP Loveth Odaa, said the crisis stemmed from a power tussle within the town union and that Ogbadu was not responsible.

She said the crisis claimed only the life of one person. She said the investigation was still going on and that normalcy has returned to the town.

Efforts to reach the Chairman failed as he refused to pick his calls.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

APC Chairman Dies After Collapsing at Reconciliation Meeting

Published

on

Maduka University

The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ijumu Local Government Area of Kogi State, Oyewole Mayowa Solomon, has died after reportedly collapsing during a party reconciliation meeting in Iyara, the council headquarters.

Solomon reportedly slumped suddenly while participating in the meeting convened on Friday by a former Ijumu council chairman, Funsho Olumoko, as part of efforts to resolve internal disagreements and promote unity among APC stakeholders in the area.

An eyewitness said the incident caused confusion among participants, who immediately attempted to revive the party chairman before rushing him to a hospital in Kabba.

He reportedly died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

The development shocked party leaders and other stakeholders who had gathered for the reconciliation meeting, which was aimed at strengthening the APC ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The meeting was expected to bring together party leaders, ward and local government executives, women and youth leaders, as well as government appointees from the 15 wards in Ijumu.

The incident occurred amid renewed efforts by APC stakeholders in the council to resolve longstanding disagreements and restore unity within the local chapter.

Earlier in the month, party leaders in Ijumu had endorsed President Bola Tinubu and Kogi State Governor, Usman Ododo, for second terms.

However, that gathering was reportedly disrupted by disagreements over the leadership of the local government, with Solomon and some other officials said to have walked out of the meeting.

Olumoko, who organised Friday’s reconciliation meeting, had previously been mandated by the Ijumu Consultative Forum to facilitate dialogue among political stakeholders in the council.

Solomon’s sudden death is expected to create fresh uncertainty around the ongoing reconciliation efforts within the Ijumu APC, coming barely two weeks after stakeholders renewed calls for unity ahead of the 2027 elections.

The cause of his death had not been officially disclosed as of the time of filing this report, while efforts to obtain an official reaction from the APC were ongoing.

Continue Reading

Crime

BREAKING: ADC Chairman in Enugu Dies in Suspected Murder, Two Arrested

Published

on

Maduka University

Tension and grief have gripped the political community in Enugu State following the suspected murder of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) Chairman in Udenu Local Government Area, Chisimdiri Emmanuel Ngwu.

Ngwu, described as one of the longest-serving members of the ADC in the state, was reportedly found dead in the early hours of Wednesday, August 19, 2026, under circumstances that have raised concerns among his family, friends and political associates.

A family source told our correspondent that Ngwu woke up early on Wednesday, left the house and never returned alive.

The source said the family became worried after they noticed he was missing, only to later discover his lifeless body outside the compound.

“We woke up and didn’t see him, only to discover his lifeless body in front of our compound,” the source said.

The source further alleged that scratches were found around Ngwu’s neck and that his neck appeared to have been twisted backwards, raising suspicions about the circumstances of his death.

The incident has sparked concern within the ADC in Udenu and the wider political community in Enugu State, with calls for security agencies to thoroughly investigate the matter and bring anyone found responsible to justice.

Meanwhile, two persons have reportedly been arrested in connection with the incident.

Their identities and the specific circumstances surrounding their arrest were not immediately known as of press time.

Ngwu’s death has since sent shock waves through the ADC, with party members and associates mourning his death and demanding a transparent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Continue Reading

Crime

Anambra Police Arrest Four Over Alleged Murder of 56-Year-Old Man in Awkuzu

Published

on

Maduka University

The Anambra State Police Command has uncovered the circumstances surrounding the alleged murder of a 56-year-old man, Mr Kelechi Madu, in Awkuzu, Oyi Local Government Area, two days after he was reported missing.

The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Friday, August 21, 2026, by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, who said the breakthrough followed a coordinated search and investigation by police operatives, local vigilantes and members of the deceased’s family.

Madu was reported missing by his wife on August 18, after he reportedly left home on the evening of August 17 and failed to return.

According to the Command, the search for the missing man took a grim turn later that day when his wife returned to the police station to report that he had been found dead in a nearby bush at Umuobi, Awkuzu.

Police operatives immediately mobilised to the scene, where they found Madu’s lifeless body with a deep axe wound to his head. His remains were subsequently evacuated and deposited at a hospital mortuary for preservation.

Following the discovery, detectives intensified their investigation and arrested the deceased’s 32-year-old friend, Mr Ifeanyi Nwankwo, who allegedly confessed to being involved in the planning of the killing.

Preliminary findings by the Command indicated that Nwankwo allegedly obtained money from Madu through fraudulent means, claiming he would assist him in acquiring a piece of land.

Police alleged that the suspect subsequently engaged two other persons to eliminate Madu in an attempt to conceal the alleged fraudulent transaction and prevent the victim from recovering the money.

The Command said two other suspects linked to the alleged plot were also arrested, bringing the number of persons apprehended in connection with the case to four.

The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, psc, mnips, has directed investigators to intensify the probe and identify every person involved in the alleged conspiracy and murder.

The CP vowed that all persons found culpable would be brought to justice.

The Command, through Ikenga, assured residents that it would continue to strengthen intelligence-led policing and community partnerships to prevent violent crimes, uncover criminal networks and ensure that perpetrators face the full weight of the law.

Headline

Continue Reading

Crime

2 Suspected Kidnappers, Armed Robbers Neutralised as Anambra CP Orders Probe into Head Bridge Shooting

Published

on

Maduka University

By Okey Maduforo, Awka
Two suspected armed robbers and kidnappers have been neutralised by operatives of the Anambra State Police Command.
The development came as the Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, ordered an immediate and comprehensive investigation into an incident involving police operatives and a suspect at the Head Bridge, Onitsha.
According to a statement by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, the incident involving the suspected criminals occurred in the early hours of Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
Ikenga said operatives of the Command attached to the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu, acted on credible intelligence that a group of suspected armed robbers and kidnappers had been sighted along Eziowelle Road.
He said the operatives swiftly mobilised to the area, but the suspects opened fire upon sighting the police team, leading to a gun duel.
“During the ensuing encounter, two of the suspects sustained fatal gunshot injuries, while other members of the gang fled the scene with varying degrees of gunshot wounds,” Ikenga said.
He added that the operatives recovered one AK-47 rifle with a magazine containing four live rounds of ammunition, one pump-action gun and five live cartridges from the scene.
Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police has ordered a thorough and impartial investigation into the separate incident at the Head Bridge, Onitsha, where gunshots were reportedly fired during an attempted arrest.
Addressing residents and other members of the public in Onitsha on Wednesday, CP Oji Ama said the immediate priority of the Command was to ensure that those injured in the incident receive adequate medical attention and recover fully.
The Commissioner subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the Command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses were covered.
CP Oji Ama further ordered a comprehensive investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident, particularly the events that led to the discharge of the firearm.
He stressed that the investigation would establish the facts and ensure that appropriate action was taken based on its findings.
The Commissioner appealed for calm and urged members of the public to remain peaceful while the investigation runs its course.
He reiterated the Command’s commitment to professionalism, accountability, respect for human life and strict adherence to the rule of law.
Meanwhile, the situation around the Head Bridge area has been de-escalated, with the free flow of vehicular and human movement restored.

Continue Reading

Crime

Gunmen Attack Adeleke’s Convoy at Osogbo, Security Operatives Repel Assailants

Published

on

Maduka University
Suspected thugs on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, triggering an exchange of gunfire with the governor’s security personnel.

The shooting, which lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes, occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall where he had met with the monarch.

Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 pm in a motorcade of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.

An eyewitness, who spoke with our correspondent on the telephone on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said Adeleke and his entourage were received by Oyetunji, where the governor reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch.

The eyewitness said trouble started as the meeting was winding down after the monarch had offered prayers.

According to her, Adeleke had already left the hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives when the shooting started.

She said, “He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”

A trader near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, said the assailants might have learnt of Adeleke’s visit and waited for his arrival.

She said, “We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.

“We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.”

The incident caused panic in the area as traders and other residents reportedly fled their businesses and sought safety during the shooting.

When contacted, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack.

Alimi said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assailants and that no casualty was recorded.

“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.

As of 4:45 pm, when our correspondent left the scene, sporadic gunshots were still being heard around the area, while several business owners had hurriedly shut their shops for fear of being caught in the violence.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending