
News
Breaking: Muhammad Barkindo, OPEC Sec-General, is dead

President Muhammadu Buhari and the late OPEC Secretary-General, Muhammad Barkindo, at the Villa yesterday.
Muhammad Sanusi Barkindo, the Secretary-Seneral of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), is dead.
He died at about 11p.m on Tuesday. He was aged 63.
His death was announced by Mele Kyari, group managing director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited.
His death occurred few hours after he was celebrated by President Muhammadu Buhari for his good service.
Kyari tweeted: “We lost our esteemed Dr Muhammad Sanusi Barkindo. He died at about 11pm yesterday 5th July 2022.
“Certainly a great loss to his immediate family, the NNPC, our country Nigeria, the OPEC and the global energy community. Burial arrangements will be announced shortly.”
Barkindo’s tenure as OPEC Secretary General would have ended July 31.
Praising Barkindo yesterday, Buhari said: “You have indeed been a worthy ambassador of our country.
“We are proud of your achievements before and during your appointment at OPEC and the proud legacies you will leave behind.
“Your time in charge of the affairs of OPEC has been a very challenging one for the global oil industry.”
Vanguad
News
Wike: 2027 Will Be Tinubu’s Easiest Presidential Election

Wike stated this while speaking during an inspection tour of flood-affected areas in the Federal Capital Territory on Monday.
Wike said the fragmented nature of the opposition would make it difficult for the parties to mount a strong challenge against Tinubu in 2027.
He declared, “This election, the 2027 election, will be the easiest election for Mr President. 2023 was a tough election for him.”
The former Rivers State governor further argued that the opposition had been weakened by defections and political movements ahead of the next election.
He said, “This election, where the opposition has been crippled, you know what it means? Depleted; they finished them.”
Wike said a credible opposition needed to spend years building a strong political structure instead of moving from one party to another in search of an electoral platform.
He said, “For you to be opposition to remove a government, it must be what you call a strong, vibrant opposition that has stayed for over four years planning, not opposition that is looking for a party to run to.”
He added, “Today, they’re going to Party A. So, you see, that kind of opposition can never win.”
Wike was emphatic about Tinubu’s chances in 2027, saying, “If it is this 2027 election against Bola Ahmed Tinubu, no, forget it. It’s over.”
The minister dismissed criticism from opposition politicians and commentators, saying their media appearances would not erase what he described as the achievements of the Tinubu administration over the past three years.
Wike said, “I don’t want to reply to political commentaries. I don’t want to reply to people who think that appearing before media houses will give them an edge to win an election that they have lost. No.”
He maintained that the administration’s achievements could not be diminished by political criticism.
He said, “Nobody can diminish what this administration has done in the past three years. Nobody can diminish it. This administration has done very well as far as the Federal Capital Territory is concerned.”
He added, “That does not mean I claim that we have solved all problems, no. Are we solving problems? Yes. Have we solved major problems? Yes. Will we continue to solve problems? Yes.”
The minister also spoke on the government’s response to flooding and illegal structures in the FCT.
He warned officials of the FCT Development Control Department against delaying enforcement operations with bureaucratic excuses, saying the administration had the political will to act against structures obstructing waterways.
Wike said, “And let nobody make a mistake that this government lacks the political will to do anything. The person must be making a very big mistake. If there is one minister that has that political will, I have. I have the political will.”
He directed that houses found on waterways should be demolished, regardless of the status of their owners.
He said, “I’m going to bring those houses down! Any house that’s found on the water channel will go down!”
Wike said the enforcement would not be suspended because of the approaching election.
He added, “Whether there is an election, oh, there’s no election, oh, all those houses will go down. Heaven will not fall; rather, heaven will be at peace that the right thing has been done.”
The minister also condemned the conversion of designated green areas in Abuja into commercial parks and other developments.
He said some individuals had attempted to justify such developments by relying on historical claims about land allocations.
Wike said, “Because something that was done wrongly will not be corrected? No, we will not allow that. We won’t.”
He assured residents that desilting and other infrastructure interventions would continue in flood-prone areas, including Lokogoma and the Yakubu Gowon Crescent axis in Asokoro.
He also urged residents to support efforts to address flooding by properly disposing of waste and avoiding activities that could obstruct drainage channels.
News
Osun 2026: APC Rejects Adeleke’s Victory, Begins Audit of Election Results

OSOGBO — The All Progressives Congress (APC) has rejected the outcome of the August 15, 2026, Osun State governorship election as declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), insisting that it is not convinced that Governor Ademola Adeleke secured the highest number of valid votes.
INEC on Sunday declared Adeleke the winner after the Returning Officer, Prof. Joshua Olalekan Ogunwale, announced the final results at the commission’s headquarters in Osogbo.
Adeleke, who contested on the platform of the Accord Party, polled 511,067 votes to defeat the APC candidate, Asiwaju Bola Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes. The African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate, Dr Najeem Salaam, came third with 17,180 votes.
However, the APC said it would not accept the declaration without conducting a comprehensive review of the electoral process.
Speaking on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme on Monday, the Director-General of the APC campaign for the Osun governorship election, Hon. Oluwole Oke, said the party had commenced an audit of the results and electoral materials from the poll.
Oke said the party had directed its agents across the state to submit relevant result sheets for scrutiny as it investigates alleged infractions.
“We need to do the needful which is to evaluate the process, review the process and then form an opinion. We’ve embarked on an audit process; we’ve asked all our party agents to submit copies of Form EC8A, B, C to our secretariat for review. We need to inspect all the materials because we do not agree with the declaration of INEC, and that’s our position for now,” he said.
The APC campaign chief also dismissed suggestions that the party was under pressure to immediately accept the outcome following President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s congratulatory message to Adeleke.
Tinubu had congratulated Adeleke after the declaration, describing the outcome as a reflection of the will of the people.
Reacting to the President’s position, Oke said Tinubu spoke in his capacity as President and a democrat following INEC’s declaration.
“Mr. President spoke as the Father of the nation and a democrat following the declaration by INEC,” he said.
Oke, however, maintained that the APC would rely on its own assessment of the election after completing its review.
“We’re on ground and politics is local and, like I’ve told you, what we’re doing is to conduct a thorough review of the entire process and form an opinion,” he said.
He added that the party would not be rushed into congratulating Adeleke, insisting that its preliminary position was that the governor did not secure the highest number of valid votes.
“We won’t be under any subtle pressure to easily reach out to congratulate Senator Ademola Adeleke because we believe he didn’t score the highest valid votes,” Oke said.
The APC is expected to determine its next course of action after completing its audit and reviewing the electoral materials and results submitted by its agents.
News
2027: Odii Unveils 5,000-Unit Housing Plan, Digital Loans for Ebonyi Workers

ABAKALIKI — The 2027 governorship race in Ebonyi State is gathering momentum, with the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Chief Ifeanyi Odii, unveiling a package of reforms aimed at improving the welfare of workers, teachers and retirees.
Odii made the commitments during a meeting with representatives of Ebonyi civil servants and members of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) at his Lagos residence, where he outlined his plans for a comprehensive reform of the state’s public service.
A major component of his agenda is a workers’ housing scheme designed to provide 1,000 housing units within his first year in office and up to 5,000 units over four years if elected governor.
Odii said the housing programme would be structured to minimise dependence on direct government funding, with workers’ contributions and existing pension assets forming part of the financing framework.
He said the initiative would address the housing difficulties faced by workers and retirees, particularly retirees who often struggle to sustain rented accommodation after leaving government service.
The PDP candidate also proposed a paperless digital loan platform that would allow workers to access loans against their contributory pension savings without the bureaucratic delays associated with the existing system.
On retirement benefits, Odii pledged that workers would have access to their entitlements immediately upon retirement, arguing that retirees should not endure prolonged delays in receiving benefits accrued during their years of service.
He further promised to reform the promotion process through computer-based promotion examinations capable of producing results instantly.
According to him, the digital system would reduce delays, curb opportunities for manipulation and promote greater transparency and fairness in the career progression of civil servants.
Odii said the proposed reforms were aimed at creating a public service where workers would have improved access to housing, credit facilities and timely retirement benefits, while ensuring a more transparent promotion system.
He presented the proposals as part of his broader agenda to improve workers’ welfare and reposition the Ebonyi State civil service for greater efficiency if elected governor in 2027.
News
MainPower Disco Confirms Staff Accidental Death, Debunks Sabotage Claims

The MainPower Electricity Distribution Limited (MEDL) has confirmed the death of one of its operations staff in an electrical accident.
The Head of Communications, MEDL, Mr Emeka Ezeh, who confirmed the incident in Enugu on Monday, said that the incident occured on Aug. 13 at Eke in Udi Local Government Area of Enugu State.
Ezeh said that the incident, which occurred at about 1p.m., involved Mr. Samson Okechi, the Team Lead, Abor, attached to the company’s 9th Mile District.
He said, “Okechi was carrying out maintenance work on a 50kVA/11kV pole-mounted distribution substation at Eke when he sustained an electric shock.
“Okechi was immediately evacuated to Our Saviour Hospital, Ngwo, for medical attention but was pronounced dead by the doctor on duty. His remains were subsequently deposited at a mortuary.”
He said that the incident was formally reported at the Ngwo Police Station for documentation and other necessary statutory actions.
Ezeh also debunked claims circulating on some social media platforms that Okechi was murdered or that the incident was the result of sabotage.
“I wonder why some people take pleasure in conjuring unfounded narratives and circulating them, thereby creating unnecessary tension and bad blood. This is so unfair,” he said.
He urged members of the public to disregard the claims, describing them as baseless.
According to him, Okechi had requested a Station Guarantee (SG) for the Okwe 11kV Feeder, which was granted at about 11:06 a.m. at the 9th Mile Injection Substation. The feeder was subsequently opened and tagged.
“This is a very unfortunate development and a big shock to all of us, his colleagues. Our hearts go out to his immediate family as they grieve,” Ezeh said.
The MEDL spokesman disclosed that MainPower management had commenced a comprehensive investigation to establish the immediate, underlying and root causes of the accident.
He said, “We are committed to ensuring that the investigation is thorough and evidence-based.
“The findings will be used to identify any gaps, determine appropriate corrective measures, and strengthen safety procedures and operational controls where necessary.”
Ezeh MEDL assured its customers and stakeholders that safety remained a paramount priority in its operations, adding that appropriate measures would be taken based on the outcome of the investigation.
News
BREAKING: Edo House of Assembly Elects New speaker

Idiaye, a third-term lawmaker, takes over from Blessing Agbebaku, who resigned as Speaker on Monday amid moves by lawmakers to impeach him.
The emergence of Idiaye was said to have been influenced by the gentleman’s zoning arrangement in the Assembly, which provides that when the governor is from the Edo Central Senatorial District, the Speaker should come from Edo North.
Idiaye, being the oldest member from the Edo North Senatorial District, was subsequently elected Speaker.
Without the zoning arrangement, the Deputy Speaker would have automatically succeeded Agbebaku, according to the new Speaker.
Members of the Assembly were at the Government House to inform Governor Monday Okpebholo of the change in leadership.
Agbebaku was said to have resigned early on Monday following alleged moves by lawmakers to impeach him.
Reports gathered that 17 of the 24 lawmakers had signed a notice of impeachment on Sunday night, a development that may have prompted his resignation.
Agbebaku’s resignation was confirmed by Ebojele, who said details of the development would be made public later.
She said, “I can confirm the Speaker’s resignation but details will be made public later.”
-
Foreign5 days agoFamily Seeks Help to Locate Enugu Man in Dallas After Viral Social Media Post
-
Health4 days agoPeter Obi, Chinyeaka Ohaa Visit Parklane Hospital in Solidarity With Kidney Patients
-
Crime2 days agoArmy Destroys Three Suspected IPOB/ESN Camps, Kills Three in Anambra
-
Crime4 days agoEnugu: Police arrest 14 kidnap suspects, recover cache of arms, ammunition
-
Crime4 days agoWoman poisons husband 40 days after wedding
-
Business5 days agoPatience Jonathan Hails Azikel Boss Eruani as ‘Small Boy’ She Mentored Into Billionaire League
-
News4 days agoMainPower calls for partnership, support to improve electricity service delivery
-
Crime5 days agoPolice recover stolen newborn baby, arrest suspects

