Connect with us
Maduka University Advert

News

US returns another $23m as recovered Abacha loot hits $334.7m

Published

on

Maduka University
The amount of money stolen by late General Sani Abacha and his cronies which have been repatriated to Nigeria by the United States has hit over $334.7 million, the US Ambassador to Nigeria, Mary Leonard, said on Tuesday.

According to her, the US government had been keenly aware of the devastating impact of corruption on societies, including eroding trust and the ability of governments to deliver to their citizens.

“It distorts the economies and access to key services. It hinders development, pushes citizens towards extremism and makes countries and their officials susceptible to malicious foreign interference”, the US Envoy emphasised.

Leonard expressed these views during the signing of an agreement with the Federal Government for the repatriation of $23 million, being assets looted by Abacha and his cronies.

While the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), signed the agreement on behalf of the Nigerian government, Leonard signed for the United States.

Advertisement

Malami said since 2016, the Federal Ministry of Justice, United Kingdom National Crime Agency and United States Department of Justice have been working closely with the legal representatives of the Federal Government to finalise litigations related to the Abacha linked assets.

Following agreement between parties, the AGF said the UK High Court granted the NCA a registration and recovery order on July 21, 2021, which was sealed by the court on August 4 2021.

Leonard, in her speech, said the US Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, seized the stolen funds because Abacha and his associates violated US laws, when they laundered the funds through the US and into accounts to the UK.

She said, “This agreement is also kind of collaboration that our government must continue in order to right the wrongs committed under the previous regimes, combined with a $311.7m seized and repatriated with the assistance of the Bailiwick of Jersey and the government of Nigeria in 2020.

“This repatriation brings to a total amount of funds repatriated in this case by the US to more than $334.7 million. As a result of today (Tuesday’s) agreement, $23 million will be transferred to the Nigerian government, which through the NSIA (Nigerian Sovereign Investment Authority), will be used to continue the construction of three key infrastructural projects located in strategic economic zones of the country: The 2nd Niger Bridge, Lagos-Ibadan Expressway and the Abuja-Kano Road.

Advertisement
“In other words, these recovered criminal proceeds, like the $311.7m previously seized and repatriated, will be transformed into visible and impactful representation of the possibilities of government assets that directly improve the lives of average Nigerians.

“US law enforcement will continue to deny safe-heavens for corrupt actors and their assets. Our agreement today also serves to reaffirm the important role Nigerian Civil Society plays in combating corruption. Among other things, it provides for both independent auditor as well as independent CSO monitor within Nigeria to track the expenditure of these recovered funds.”

She promised that the United States would continue to do its part to facilitate the recovery and return of the proceeds of corruption to the Nigerian people.

Leonard said, “I am so pleased to be representing the US government to finalize the agreement for the repatriation of approximately $23 million worth of additional assets stolen by former dictator, Sani Abacha and his associates from the Nigerian people and will be returned to the Nigerian people.

“The US Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation seized these funds in response to General Abacha and his associates’ violation of US laws when they laundered these assets through the US and into accounts in the United Kingdom.

Advertisement

“These actions were flagrant breach of the Nigerian people’s trust, but today is the result of an extensive and high level corporation between the US, the UK and the Federal Republic of Nigeria to make the Nigerian people whole.

“It is in recognition of the role corruption plays in undermining democracy that the US considers the fight against corruption as a core national security interest. To that end, President Biden really supported US strategy in countering corruption last December.

Malami further noted before signing the agreement, “The forfeited Mecosta/Sani assets were subsequently transferred to the NCA, which on February 7, 2022 held the sum of $23,439,724, pending the execution of the asset return agreement between the FRN and the USA.

“The President’s mandate to my office is to ensure that all international recoveries are transparently invested and monitored by civil society organisation to complete these three projects within the agreed timeline.”

The AGF urged the US government not to relent in supporting Nigeria’s commitment to speedy and transparent management of returned assets.

Advertisement

PUNCH

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

BREAKING: Edo House of Assembly Elects New speaker

Published

on

Maduka University
A member representing Akoko-Edo Constituency I, Yekini Idiaye, has emerged as the new Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly.

Idiaye, a third-term lawmaker, takes over from Blessing Agbebaku, who resigned as Speaker on Monday amid moves by lawmakers to impeach him.

The emergence of Idiaye was said to have been influenced by the gentleman’s zoning arrangement in the Assembly, which provides that when the governor is from the Edo Central Senatorial District, the Speaker should come from Edo North.

Idiaye, being the oldest member from the Edo North Senatorial District, was subsequently elected Speaker.

Without the zoning arrangement, the Deputy Speaker would have automatically succeeded Agbebaku, according to the new Speaker.

Advertisement

Members of the Assembly were at the Government House to inform Governor Monday Okpebholo of the change in leadership.

When contacted by our correspondent, Agbebaku’s telephone line was busy, while his media aide, Ivy Ebojele, was yet to issue a further statement on his resignation.

Agbebaku was said to have resigned early on Monday following alleged moves by lawmakers to impeach him.

Reports gathered that 17 of the 24 lawmakers had signed a notice of impeachment on Sunday night, a development that may have prompted his resignation.

Agbebaku’s resignation was confirmed by Ebojele, who said details of the development would be made public later.

Advertisement

She said, “I can confirm the Speaker’s resignation but details will be made public later.”

Continue Reading

News

Confusion In House of Assembly As Speaker Resigns

Published

on

Maduka University

The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has resigned from his position.

Agbebaku stepped down on Monday amid moves by some lawmakers to impeach him.

His resignation was confirmed on Facebook by his media aide, Ivy Adodo-Ebojele, who said further details on the circumstances surrounding his exit would be made public later.

“EDO ASSEMBLY SPEAKER RT HON CHIEF BLESSING AGBEBAKU RESIGNS,” she wrote.

The development has thrown the Edo State House of Assembly into a fresh leadership crisis, with lawmakers expected to determine a new Speaker.

Advertisement

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

News

Odii’s Ebonyi Dream: Restructuring, Infrastructure, Healthcare, ICT Top Agenda

Published

on

Maduka University

The Executive Secretary of the Igbo Oriental Think Tank, Dr. Kenneth Anozie, has highlighted the vision of Dr. Chukwuma Anyichuks Odii for Ebonyi State ahead of the 2027 governorship election.

In a statement titled “Anyichuks Odii 2027: I Have a Dream for Ebonyi State,” Anozie compared Odii’s vision for Ebonyi with the transformational ideals associated with American civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.

According to the political analyst, Odii believes that Ebonyi State possesses enormous potential capable of benefiting the wider population rather than serving the interests of a few.

Anozie said Odii’s proposed agenda includes a restructuring of government to ensure equitable representation and development across the different zones of Ebonyi State.

He also listed improved infrastructure as a key component of Odii’s vision, particularly roads and other projects that would facilitate the movement of agricultural produce, stimulate industrial development and create employment opportunities for youths.

Advertisement

The analyst further said Odii plans to make the civil service more responsive to the needs of residents, establish major healthcare centres across the state’s local government areas to help reduce child mortality, and provide extensive ICT training for young people.

Anozie said the ICT initiative could position Ebonyi as a hub for technology talent, with trained professionals able to compete for opportunities locally and internationally.

“Anyichuks has a dream. Ndi Ebonyi need to cue in to that dream for the benefits of all,” Anozie said.

He urged Ebonyi residents to pay attention to the proposed agenda and participate actively in determining the direction of the state ahead of the 2027 election.

Dr. Kenneth Anozie is the Executive Secretary of the Igbo Oriental Think Tank and a political analyst.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun guber poll

Published

on

Maduka University

…Governor trounces APC’s Oyebamiji with 66,252

The Independent National Electoral Commission has declared Governor Ademola Adeleke, of the Accord Party, the winner of the 2026 governorship election.

Announcing the final results, INEC Returning Officer, Prof. Joshua Ogunwole, the Vice- Chancellor of the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti declared Adeleke winner and returned him elected.

Ogunwole announced that the Accord candidate secured 511,067 while his closest challenger, Bola Oyebamiji of the All Progressives Congress, recorded 444,815 votes.

Adeleke trounced his major opponent with 66,252 votes amid wild jubilation by party supporters and other residents.

Advertisement

Details later…

Continue Reading

News

Osun Guber: Adeleke Sweeps 19 LGAs, Oyebamiji Wins 11

Published

on

Maduka University

The Osun State Governor and Accord Party candidate, Ademola Adeleke, has won 19 of the 30 Local Government Areas in Saturday’s governorship election, while the candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Oyebamiji, secured victory in 11 LGAs.Download Offline Maps

The results are being collated and announced, with the Independent National Electoral Commission expected to make the official declaration after the completion of the process.

Adeleke recorded notable victories across several parts of the state, including Ede South, Ede North, Osogbo, Ife Central, Ife East, Ife North, Ilesa West, Odo Otin, Egbedore and Iwo.

Oyebamiji, however, won key LGAs including Ilesa East, Boripe, Irepodun, Obokun, Atakumosa West, Atakumosa East, Irewole, Isokan, Ola-Oluwa, Ife South and Olorunda.

The results announced so far show a closely contested election between the two major candidates, with the other candidates recording significantly lower figures in most of the LGAs.Download Interactive Maps

Advertisement

In Boluwaduro, Adeleke polled 7,118 votes against Oyebamiji’s 7,050. In Ede South, Adeleke secured 26,188 votes while the APC candidate scored 6,219.

Adeleke also won Ife North with 13,879 votes to Oyebamiji’s 9,613; Ilesa West with 16,196 against 12,756; Ifedayo with 7,427 against 6,836; and Ife Central with 21,171 against 15,913.

In Osogbo, Adeleke recorded 36,480 votes while Oyebamiji polled 30,474. He also won Oriade with 21,343 votes to 14,863 and Odo Otin with 18,003 votes against 15,435.

Other LGAs won by Adeleke included Ife East, where he scored 27,201 votes against Oyebamiji’s 18,600; Ifelodun, 21,107 against 18,396; Iwo, 27,085 against 19,660; Ede North, 35,427 against 10,283; Ila, 16,211 against 12,934; Ayedire, 11,073 against 9,910; Egbedore, 19,278 against 11,194; and Ayedaade, 16,681 against 15,719.Design Campaign Signs

Oyebamiji secured victories in Ilesa East with 16,208 votes against Adeleke’s 12,280; Boripe with 19,963 against 12,448; Irepodun with 15,713 against 14,504; and Obokun with 16,120 against 12,023.

Advertisement

He also won Atakumosa West, polling 10,037 votes to Adeleke’s 7,479; Irewole, 29,972 against 10,934; Atakumosa East, 9,936 against 7,872; Isokan, 14,063 against 13,765; Ola-Oluwa, 10,782 against 10,063; Ife South, 14,678 against 13,507; and Olorunda, 24,671 against 23,514.

The outcome places Adeleke ahead in the overall LGA tally, although the final result remains subject to the completion of the official collation and declaration by INEC.
ads

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending