Connect with us
Maduka University Advert

News

Lagos registers 7m voters ahead 2023 elections

Published

on

Maduka University

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Lagos State,  says statistics show that the state currently  has about seven million registered voters.

The INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC)  in Lagos state, Mr Olusegun Agbaje disclosed this  in an interview with newsme on Sunday.

According to him, if the number of  new registrants so far in the ongoing  Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) is added to those in the register of voters before in the state, the number will be about seven million.

“In Lagos state as at Monday (July 18), those who registered online are 640, 560 but many of them have not completed registration. Those who have completed the  registration exercise are 451, 156.

“The total number of  registered voters in Lagos state before the commencement of the ongoing CVR is 6,570,291,  and if we add the new registrants, we have about seven million registered voters,” Agbaje said.

Advertisement

He, however, said the ongoing CVR had not ended and the commission was still capturing more people before deadline on July 31.

The INEC boss said there would not be any extension of the CVR because the commission had lots of work to do  on the voters register before printing of the  Permanent Voter’s Cards (PVCs).

He assured that, though the commission could not capture everybody, those who presented themselves for registration would not be denied.

“Everyday, there is no one that will come here that will go out without being attended to unless we cannot finish before 7.00 p.m., because by that time, all over the country, the system will shut down to avoid misuse of the machines at night.

“Everybody cannot be captured but those who come to us will be registered,” he said.

Advertisement

He said  the commission had put six extra days to the registration which were Saturdays and Sundays of the last three weeks of the exercise from 9.00 a.m to 5.00 p.m. before the deadline.

Agbaje added: “Whoever comes out on these weekends, especially those who complained that their work do not allow them, will be registered.”

He said  the commission had to stop the CVR on July 31,  so as to clean up the voter register which he described as vital in the credibility of elections.
“We have to take the data to our workshop, analyse what we have, then to another workshop for printing of cards, transporting them to all the states before we ask people to come and collect.

“So, the processes are quite long and the time is not there, we have to stop the CVR,” he added.

Urging people to avoid double registration, Agbaje said that those engaged in double or multiple registration would not get PVCs.

Advertisement

According to him, those who engage in multiple registration affect chances of others, saying many who need to seek replacement of lost or defaced PVCs or transfer of their registration to a nearest polling units are registering newly..

He said  INEC would carry out other activities such as the display of voter register for claims and objections, robust cleaning of the register to remove all double or multiple registrants, printing of cards, distribution to states for onward collection by the people.

According to him, all the PVCs for the new registrants from January to July 31 will be ready by October, and from  October to  December, INEC will start distribution.He said that out of about 34,000 new PVCs printed for people that registered from  June to  December 2021 in Lagos, only about 10,000 had been collected across the 20 local government areas of  the state.

“About 10,000 have collected their PVCs out of 34,000 new ones. As people are collecting the new ones,  they are also collecting the old ones,” he said.

He urged the people to visit INEC offices in each of the 20 LGAs  for  collection of their PVCs before it would be too late.

Advertisement

Vanguard

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Osun 2026: APC Rejects Adeleke’s Victory, Begins Audit of Election Results

Published

on

Maduka University

OSOGBO — The All Progressives Congress (APC) has rejected the outcome of the August 15, 2026, Osun State governorship election as declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), insisting that it is not convinced that Governor Ademola Adeleke secured the highest number of valid votes.

INEC on Sunday declared Adeleke the winner after the Returning Officer, Prof. Joshua Olalekan Ogunwale, announced the final results at the commission’s headquarters in Osogbo.

Adeleke, who contested on the platform of the Accord Party, polled 511,067 votes to defeat the APC candidate, Asiwaju Bola Oyebamiji, who scored 444,815 votes. The African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate, Dr Najeem Salaam, came third with 17,180 votes.

However, the APC said it would not accept the declaration without conducting a comprehensive review of the electoral process.

Speaking on Arise TV’s Prime Time programme on Monday, the Director-General of the APC campaign for the Osun governorship election, Hon. Oluwole Oke, said the party had commenced an audit of the results and electoral materials from the poll.

Advertisement

Oke said the party had directed its agents across the state to submit relevant result sheets for scrutiny as it investigates alleged infractions.

“We need to do the needful which is to evaluate the process, review the process and then form an opinion. We’ve embarked on an audit process; we’ve asked all our party agents to submit copies of Form EC8A, B, C to our secretariat for review. We need to inspect all the materials because we do not agree with the declaration of INEC, and that’s our position for now,” he said.

The APC campaign chief also dismissed suggestions that the party was under pressure to immediately accept the outcome following President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s congratulatory message to Adeleke.

Tinubu had congratulated Adeleke after the declaration, describing the outcome as a reflection of the will of the people.

Reacting to the President’s position, Oke said Tinubu spoke in his capacity as President and a democrat following INEC’s declaration.

“Mr. President spoke as the Father of the nation and a democrat following the declaration by INEC,” he said.

Oke, however, maintained that the APC would rely on its own assessment of the election after completing its review.

Advertisement

“We’re on ground and politics is local and, like I’ve told you, what we’re doing is to conduct a thorough review of the entire process and form an opinion,” he said.

He added that the party would not be rushed into congratulating Adeleke, insisting that its preliminary position was that the governor did not secure the highest number of valid votes.

“We won’t be under any subtle pressure to easily reach out to congratulate Senator Ademola Adeleke because we believe he didn’t score the highest valid votes,” Oke said.

The APC is expected to determine its next course of action after completing its audit and reviewing the electoral materials and results submitted by its agents.

Continue Reading

News

2027: Odii Unveils 5,000-Unit Housing Plan, Digital Loans for Ebonyi Workers

Published

on

Maduka University

ABAKALIKI — The 2027 governorship race in Ebonyi State is gathering momentum, with the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Chief Ifeanyi Odii, unveiling a package of reforms aimed at improving the welfare of workers, teachers and retirees.

Odii made the commitments during a meeting with representatives of Ebonyi civil servants and members of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) at his Lagos residence, where he outlined his plans for a comprehensive reform of the state’s public service.

A major component of his agenda is a workers’ housing scheme designed to provide 1,000 housing units within his first year in office and up to 5,000 units over four years if elected governor.

Odii said the housing programme would be structured to minimise dependence on direct government funding, with workers’ contributions and existing pension assets forming part of the financing framework.

He said the initiative would address the housing difficulties faced by workers and retirees, particularly retirees who often struggle to sustain rented accommodation after leaving government service.

Advertisement

The PDP candidate also proposed a paperless digital loan platform that would allow workers to access loans against their contributory pension savings without the bureaucratic delays associated with the existing system.

On retirement benefits, Odii pledged that workers would have access to their entitlements immediately upon retirement, arguing that retirees should not endure prolonged delays in receiving benefits accrued during their years of service.

He further promised to reform the promotion process through computer-based promotion examinations capable of producing results instantly.

According to him, the digital system would reduce delays, curb opportunities for manipulation and promote greater transparency and fairness in the career progression of civil servants.

Odii said the proposed reforms were aimed at creating a public service where workers would have improved access to housing, credit facilities and timely retirement benefits, while ensuring a more transparent promotion system.

Advertisement

He presented the proposals as part of his broader agenda to improve workers’ welfare and reposition the Ebonyi State civil service for greater efficiency if elected governor in 2027.

Continue Reading

News

MainPower Disco Confirms Staff Accidental Death, Debunks Sabotage Claims

Published

on

Maduka University

The MainPower Electricity Distribution Limited (MEDL) has confirmed the death of one of its operations staff in an electrical accident.

The Head of Communications, MEDL, Mr Emeka Ezeh, who confirmed the incident in Enugu on Monday, said that the incident occured on Aug. 13 at Eke in Udi Local Government Area of Enugu State.

Ezeh said that the incident, which occurred at about 1p.m., involved Mr. Samson Okechi, the Team Lead, Abor, attached to the company’s 9th Mile District.

He said, “Okechi was carrying out maintenance work on a 50kVA/11kV pole-mounted distribution substation at Eke when he sustained an electric shock.

“Okechi was immediately evacuated to Our Saviour Hospital, Ngwo, for medical attention but was pronounced dead by the doctor on duty. His remains were subsequently deposited at a mortuary.”

Advertisement

He said that the incident was formally reported at the Ngwo Police Station for documentation and other necessary statutory actions.

Ezeh also debunked claims circulating on some social media platforms that Okechi was murdered or that the incident was the result of sabotage.

“I wonder why some people take pleasure in conjuring unfounded narratives and circulating them, thereby creating unnecessary tension and bad blood. This is so unfair,” he said.

He urged members of the public to disregard the claims, describing them as baseless.

According to him, Okechi had requested a Station Guarantee (SG) for the Okwe 11kV Feeder, which was granted at about 11:06 a.m. at the 9th Mile Injection Substation. The feeder was subsequently opened and tagged.

Advertisement

“This is a very unfortunate development and a big shock to all of us, his colleagues. Our hearts go out to his immediate family as they grieve,” Ezeh said.

The MEDL spokesman disclosed that MainPower management had commenced a comprehensive investigation to establish the immediate, underlying and root causes of the accident.

He said, “We are committed to ensuring that the investigation is thorough and evidence-based.

“The findings will be used to identify any gaps, determine appropriate corrective measures, and strengthen safety procedures and operational controls where necessary.”

Ezeh MEDL assured its customers and stakeholders that safety remained a paramount priority in its operations, adding that appropriate measures would be taken based on the outcome of the investigation.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Edo House of Assembly Elects New speaker

Published

on

Maduka University
A member representing Akoko-Edo Constituency I, Yekini Idiaye, has emerged as the new Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly.

Idiaye, a third-term lawmaker, takes over from Blessing Agbebaku, who resigned as Speaker on Monday amid moves by lawmakers to impeach him.

The emergence of Idiaye was said to have been influenced by the gentleman’s zoning arrangement in the Assembly, which provides that when the governor is from the Edo Central Senatorial District, the Speaker should come from Edo North.

Idiaye, being the oldest member from the Edo North Senatorial District, was subsequently elected Speaker.

Without the zoning arrangement, the Deputy Speaker would have automatically succeeded Agbebaku, according to the new Speaker.

Advertisement

Members of the Assembly were at the Government House to inform Governor Monday Okpebholo of the change in leadership.

When contacted by our correspondent, Agbebaku’s telephone line was busy, while his media aide, Ivy Ebojele, was yet to issue a further statement on his resignation.

Agbebaku was said to have resigned early on Monday following alleged moves by lawmakers to impeach him.

Reports gathered that 17 of the 24 lawmakers had signed a notice of impeachment on Sunday night, a development that may have prompted his resignation.

Agbebaku’s resignation was confirmed by Ebojele, who said details of the development would be made public later.

Advertisement

She said, “I can confirm the Speaker’s resignation but details will be made public later.”

Continue Reading

News

Confusion In House of Assembly As Speaker Resigns

Published

on

Maduka University

The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has resigned from his position.

Agbebaku stepped down on Monday amid moves by some lawmakers to impeach him.

His resignation was confirmed on Facebook by his media aide, Ivy Adodo-Ebojele, who said further details on the circumstances surrounding his exit would be made public later.

“EDO ASSEMBLY SPEAKER RT HON CHIEF BLESSING AGBEBAKU RESIGNS,” she wrote.

The development has thrown the Edo State House of Assembly into a fresh leadership crisis, with lawmakers expected to determine a new Speaker.

Advertisement

Details shortly…

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending