
Crime
Igbo Jah: Protest erupts in Enugu over murder of Enugu musician

There is heavy protest by aggrieved residents of Enugu and relatives of Igbo Jah, an Enugu-based musician who was murdered by a now arrested police Inspector serving with the anti-cult unit of Enugu State Police Command.
It was learnt that hundreds of aggrieved residents had marched to the anti-cult headquarters and had attempted to burn the facility down but were resisted by police officers on ground.
However the protesters have blocked roads in some parts of the state capital including Onu Asata where they are currently burning tires and chanting angry songs.
Enugu police Spokesman, Daniel Ndukwe had confirmed the killing of the talented ogene singer, stating that the culprit had been arrested, adding that a comprehensive investigation had been ordered by the state Commissioner of Police.
According to the Police Public Relations Officer, Daniel Ndukwe, the musician was reportedly leaving the Squad’s Headquarters after a friendly visit when, for reasons yet to be ascertained, the police officer fired his rifle, hitting the victim.
Ndukwe’s statement reads, “A male Police Inspector serving in the Anti-Cultism Tactical Squad of the Enugu State Police Command has been arrested and detained for the alleged murder of a male traditional Ogene musician, Okezie Chikezie Mba, popularly known as Igbo-Jah. The incident occurred around 8:10 p.m. on October 25, 2024, at the Tactical Squad’s Headquarters.
“The musician was reportedly leaving the Squad’s Headquarters after a friendly visit when, for reasons yet to be ascertained, the police officer fired his rifle, hitting the victim. He was immediately rushed to the hospital, where he was confirmed dead by the attending doctor. His body has been deposited in the mortuary for preservation and autopsy.”
He further said that the state Commissioner of Police, CP Kanayo Uzuegbu, has ordered the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the State CID to conduct a full-scale investigation that will facilitate prompt and appropriate disciplinary actions against the police officer.
“The Commissioner empathises and consoles the victim’s family, friends, and associates, describing the unfortunate incident as unacceptable. He assures that the police officer and anyone else found culpable will be sanctioned in line with the law to serve as a deterrent.
“CP Kanayo urges everyone connected to the victim to remain calm and cooperate with the police to ensure that justice is served,” he said.
Crime
Over 60 Worshippers Abducted as Terrorists Attack Niger Mosque During Prayer

More than 60 worshippers are feared to have been kidnapped from the Central Mosque in Dekara town, Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State, during Jumu’at prayers on Friday.
The incident occurred when suspected terrorists, said to be operating in large numbers, stormed the mosque while the prayers were ongoing.
According to sources, the attackers fired several shots before rounding up some of the worshippers and taking them into the surrounding forest.
A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Borgu Local Government Area witnessed several security incidents on Friday, including attacks on three communities.
“So many things happened in Borgu LGA on Friday. Terrorists attacked three communities, including Dekara. In Dekara, they went to the Central Mosque while Jumu’at prayer was ongoing and kidnapped more than 60 people. But they did not injure anybody,” the resident said.
Crime
APC Chairman Dies After Collapsing at Reconciliation Meeting

The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ijumu Local Government Area of Kogi State, Oyewole Mayowa Solomon, has died after reportedly collapsing during a party reconciliation meeting in Iyara, the council headquarters.
Solomon reportedly slumped suddenly while participating in the meeting convened on Friday by a former Ijumu council chairman, Funsho Olumoko, as part of efforts to resolve internal disagreements and promote unity among APC stakeholders in the area.
An eyewitness said the incident caused confusion among participants, who immediately attempted to revive the party chairman before rushing him to a hospital in Kabba.
He reportedly died shortly after arriving at the hospital.
The development shocked party leaders and other stakeholders who had gathered for the reconciliation meeting, which was aimed at strengthening the APC ahead of the 2027 general elections.
The meeting was expected to bring together party leaders, ward and local government executives, women and youth leaders, as well as government appointees from the 15 wards in Ijumu.
The incident occurred amid renewed efforts by APC stakeholders in the council to resolve longstanding disagreements and restore unity within the local chapter.
Earlier in the month, party leaders in Ijumu had endorsed President Bola Tinubu and Kogi State Governor, Usman Ododo, for second terms.
However, that gathering was reportedly disrupted by disagreements over the leadership of the local government, with Solomon and some other officials said to have walked out of the meeting.
Olumoko, who organised Friday’s reconciliation meeting, had previously been mandated by the Ijumu Consultative Forum to facilitate dialogue among political stakeholders in the council.
Solomon’s sudden death is expected to create fresh uncertainty around the ongoing reconciliation efforts within the Ijumu APC, coming barely two weeks after stakeholders renewed calls for unity ahead of the 2027 elections.
The cause of his death had not been officially disclosed as of the time of filing this report, while efforts to obtain an official reaction from the APC were ongoing.
Crime
BREAKING: ADC Chairman in Enugu Dies in Suspected Murder, Two Arrested

Tension and grief have gripped the political community in Enugu State following the suspected murder of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) Chairman in Udenu Local Government Area, Chisimdiri Emmanuel Ngwu.
Ngwu, described as one of the longest-serving members of the ADC in the state, was reportedly found dead in the early hours of Wednesday, August 19, 2026, under circumstances that have raised concerns among his family, friends and political associates.
A family source told our correspondent that Ngwu woke up early on Wednesday, left the house and never returned alive.
The source said the family became worried after they noticed he was missing, only to later discover his lifeless body outside the compound.
“We woke up and didn’t see him, only to discover his lifeless body in front of our compound,” the source said.
The source further alleged that scratches were found around Ngwu’s neck and that his neck appeared to have been twisted backwards, raising suspicions about the circumstances of his death.
The incident has sparked concern within the ADC in Udenu and the wider political community in Enugu State, with calls for security agencies to thoroughly investigate the matter and bring anyone found responsible to justice.
Meanwhile, two persons have reportedly been arrested in connection with the incident.
Their identities and the specific circumstances surrounding their arrest were not immediately known as of press time.
Ngwu’s death has since sent shock waves through the ADC, with party members and associates mourning his death and demanding a transparent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Crime
Anambra Police Arrest Four Over Alleged Murder of 56-Year-Old Man in Awkuzu

The Anambra State Police Command has uncovered the circumstances surrounding the alleged murder of a 56-year-old man, Mr Kelechi Madu, in Awkuzu, Oyi Local Government Area, two days after he was reported missing.
The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Friday, August 21, 2026, by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, who said the breakthrough followed a coordinated search and investigation by police operatives, local vigilantes and members of the deceased’s family.
Madu was reported missing by his wife on August 18, after he reportedly left home on the evening of August 17 and failed to return.
According to the Command, the search for the missing man took a grim turn later that day when his wife returned to the police station to report that he had been found dead in a nearby bush at Umuobi, Awkuzu.
Police operatives immediately mobilised to the scene, where they found Madu’s lifeless body with a deep axe wound to his head. His remains were subsequently evacuated and deposited at a hospital mortuary for preservation.
Following the discovery, detectives intensified their investigation and arrested the deceased’s 32-year-old friend, Mr Ifeanyi Nwankwo, who allegedly confessed to being involved in the planning of the killing.
Preliminary findings by the Command indicated that Nwankwo allegedly obtained money from Madu through fraudulent means, claiming he would assist him in acquiring a piece of land.
Police alleged that the suspect subsequently engaged two other persons to eliminate Madu in an attempt to conceal the alleged fraudulent transaction and prevent the victim from recovering the money.
The Command said two other suspects linked to the alleged plot were also arrested, bringing the number of persons apprehended in connection with the case to four.
The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, psc, mnips, has directed investigators to intensify the probe and identify every person involved in the alleged conspiracy and murder.
The CP vowed that all persons found culpable would be brought to justice.
The Command, through Ikenga, assured residents that it would continue to strengthen intelligence-led policing and community partnerships to prevent violent crimes, uncover criminal networks and ensure that perpetrators face the full weight of the law.
Headline
Crime
2 Suspected Kidnappers, Armed Robbers Neutralised as Anambra CP Orders Probe into Head Bridge Shooting

By Okey Maduforo, Awka
Two suspected armed robbers and kidnappers have been neutralised by operatives of the Anambra State Police Command.
The development came as the Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, ordered an immediate and comprehensive investigation into an incident involving police operatives and a suspect at the Head Bridge, Onitsha.
According to a statement by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, the incident involving the suspected criminals occurred in the early hours of Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
Ikenga said operatives of the Command attached to the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu, acted on credible intelligence that a group of suspected armed robbers and kidnappers had been sighted along Eziowelle Road.
He said the operatives swiftly mobilised to the area, but the suspects opened fire upon sighting the police team, leading to a gun duel.
“During the ensuing encounter, two of the suspects sustained fatal gunshot injuries, while other members of the gang fled the scene with varying degrees of gunshot wounds,” Ikenga said.
He added that the operatives recovered one AK-47 rifle with a magazine containing four live rounds of ammunition, one pump-action gun and five live cartridges from the scene.
Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police has ordered a thorough and impartial investigation into the separate incident at the Head Bridge, Onitsha, where gunshots were reportedly fired during an attempted arrest.
Addressing residents and other members of the public in Onitsha on Wednesday, CP Oji Ama said the immediate priority of the Command was to ensure that those injured in the incident receive adequate medical attention and recover fully.
The Commissioner subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the Command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses were covered.
CP Oji Ama further ordered a comprehensive investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident, particularly the events that led to the discharge of the firearm.
He stressed that the investigation would establish the facts and ensure that appropriate action was taken based on its findings.
The Commissioner appealed for calm and urged members of the public to remain peaceful while the investigation runs its course.
He reiterated the Command’s commitment to professionalism, accountability, respect for human life and strict adherence to the rule of law.
Meanwhile, the situation around the Head Bridge area has been de-escalated, with the free flow of vehicular and human movement restored.
-
Politics2 days agoAwkunanaw Clan gives ‘Ofo’ to their son, Sir Chinyeaka Ohaa, the NDC 2027 Enugu state Guber candidate
-
Foreign4 days agoUS Court Sets August 21 Deadline for Release of Documents Linked to Tinubu’s Drug Case
-
Politics4 days ago2027: NDC’s Kevin Chukwu Vows to Win Ezza South/Ikwo Federal Constituency Seat
-
News4 days agoHon. Atu Flags-Off Completion of Ndafufa-Ugwuaji–Obeagu Link Road Meant To Further Open Enugu
-
Politics2 days agoHon. Chief Kevin Tobias Chukwu: Bringing Enterprise, Experience and Grassroots Leadership to Ezza South/Ikwo
-
Crime4 days agoNDLEA Busts International Cocaine Cartel, Arrests ‘KC Luxury’ as He Flees Nigeria
-
Crime4 days agoMan Electrocuted While Allegedly Vandalising Transformer in Enugu
-
News4 days ago
From Reflection to Rebirth: Honouring Dr. Samuel Ogbuku at 51

