Connect with us
Maduka University Advert

News

Canada-bound postgraduate student killed, family demands justice

Published

on

Maduka University
Family members and friends of a petroleum engineering graduate of the University of Benin, Edo State, Jeffrey Omoregie, have been thrown into mourning after a driver crushed him to death on Uselu-Lagos Expressway, Uselu, in the Egor Local Government Area of the state.

It was gathered that Jeffrey was on his way to a Union Bank branch to wait for his mother, who wanted to make cash withdrawal from her bank account.

Our correspondents learnt that the mother intended to give him some money after he concluded plans to travel to Canada for his master’s degree programme.

The 26-year-old, upon getting to Uselu Junction, attempted crossing the expressway to connect to the bank when the yet-to-be-identified motorist, while driving a Lexus car with number plate YAB 985 CL at top speed, rammed into him.

Jeffrey’s mother, Fortune, who spoke to one of our correspondents on Thursday, said she was inside a vehicle conveying her to meet her son when she observed people clustering around an accident victim.

Advertisement

She said, “I got down and started telling people to let us help the victim. But on moving closer, I realised it was my son lying down in a pool of blood. I started crying and shouting that people should help me. He was still breathing and people helped me carry him inside a vehicle.

“We quickly rushed him to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, where we were told that he had died. He was to travel out of the country on August 28 and I was going to the bank to give him money for the travel.

“The youth that assisted me said the boy that killed my son is a Yahoo boy (Internet fraudster) and that his vehicle came from nowhere to knock my son down. If you see the damage on the car, you will think that the vehicle rammed into a truck. I want justice.”

The deceased’s younger brother, Aisosa, said the police had been hiding the identity of the suspect.

He said, “On Tuesday, around 3pm, I got a call from my mum and heard her saying help me, help me before the call disconnected. She called back and said I should be coming to the UBTH because my brother had an accident.
Advertisement

“I was on my way to the hospital when she called and said my brother had died. How the accident happened was that he crossed the Uselu-Lagos Expressway towards the barricade that separated the two lanes for vehicles coming and going.

“He was at the median and was about to cross to the other side of the road when the vehicle crushed him against the barricade. His legs and hands were broken; the accident was so bad that his head had a collision with the windscreen of the car that knocked him against the barricade and also to the other side of the road.

“Policemen from the BDPA division arrested the suspect that same Tuesday. But when my mum and I went to the police station and demanded to see the person responsible for my brother’s death, the Investigating Police Officer told us the suspect had been transferred to the Area Command on Sapele Road.

“When we got there, we only saw the car and they still didn’t show us the suspect or tell us his name. They are just hiding his identity and we need to know his identity because we want justice.”

Jeffrey’s friend, Samuel Ebosele, alleged that the IPO had been trying to compromise the case, adding that some policemen had been calling the family for settlement.

Advertisement

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Chidi Nwabuzor, said the case had been transferred by the Divisional Police Officer after initial investigation to the State Traffic Division, Adesua, where further investigation would be carried out.

“I have been in touch with the DPO of Ugbowo, who confirmed that the case had been transferred to the State Traffic Division where further investigation will carried out,” he added.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

2027: Odii Unveils 5,000-Unit Housing Plan, Digital Loans for Ebonyi Workers

Published

on

Maduka University

ABAKALIKI — The 2027 governorship race in Ebonyi State is gathering momentum, with the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Chief Ifeanyi Odii, unveiling a package of reforms aimed at improving the welfare of workers, teachers and retirees.

Odii made the commitments during a meeting with representatives of Ebonyi civil servants and members of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) at his Lagos residence, where he outlined his plans for a comprehensive reform of the state’s public service.

A major component of his agenda is a workers’ housing scheme designed to provide 1,000 housing units within his first year in office and up to 5,000 units over four years if elected governor.

Odii said the housing programme would be structured to minimise dependence on direct government funding, with workers’ contributions and existing pension assets forming part of the financing framework.

He said the initiative would address the housing difficulties faced by workers and retirees, particularly retirees who often struggle to sustain rented accommodation after leaving government service.

Advertisement

The PDP candidate also proposed a paperless digital loan platform that would allow workers to access loans against their contributory pension savings without the bureaucratic delays associated with the existing system.

On retirement benefits, Odii pledged that workers would have access to their entitlements immediately upon retirement, arguing that retirees should not endure prolonged delays in receiving benefits accrued during their years of service.

He further promised to reform the promotion process through computer-based promotion examinations capable of producing results instantly.

According to him, the digital system would reduce delays, curb opportunities for manipulation and promote greater transparency and fairness in the career progression of civil servants.

Odii said the proposed reforms were aimed at creating a public service where workers would have improved access to housing, credit facilities and timely retirement benefits, while ensuring a more transparent promotion system.

Advertisement

He presented the proposals as part of his broader agenda to improve workers’ welfare and reposition the Ebonyi State civil service for greater efficiency if elected governor in 2027.

Continue Reading

News

MainPower Disco Confirms Staff Accidental Death, Debunks Sabotage Claims

Published

on

Maduka University

The MainPower Electricity Distribution Limited (MEDL) has confirmed the death of one of its operations staff in an electrical accident.

The Head of Communications, MEDL, Mr Emeka Ezeh, who confirmed the incident in Enugu on Monday, said that the incident occured on Aug. 13 at Eke in Udi Local Government Area of Enugu State.

Ezeh said that the incident, which occurred at about 1p.m., involved Mr. Samson Okechi, the Team Lead, Abor, attached to the company’s 9th Mile District.

He said, “Okechi was carrying out maintenance work on a 50kVA/11kV pole-mounted distribution substation at Eke when he sustained an electric shock.

“Okechi was immediately evacuated to Our Saviour Hospital, Ngwo, for medical attention but was pronounced dead by the doctor on duty. His remains were subsequently deposited at a mortuary.”

Advertisement

He said that the incident was formally reported at the Ngwo Police Station for documentation and other necessary statutory actions.

Ezeh also debunked claims circulating on some social media platforms that Okechi was murdered or that the incident was the result of sabotage.

“I wonder why some people take pleasure in conjuring unfounded narratives and circulating them, thereby creating unnecessary tension and bad blood. This is so unfair,” he said.

He urged members of the public to disregard the claims, describing them as baseless.

According to him, Okechi had requested a Station Guarantee (SG) for the Okwe 11kV Feeder, which was granted at about 11:06 a.m. at the 9th Mile Injection Substation. The feeder was subsequently opened and tagged.

Advertisement

“This is a very unfortunate development and a big shock to all of us, his colleagues. Our hearts go out to his immediate family as they grieve,” Ezeh said.

The MEDL spokesman disclosed that MainPower management had commenced a comprehensive investigation to establish the immediate, underlying and root causes of the accident.

He said, “We are committed to ensuring that the investigation is thorough and evidence-based.

“The findings will be used to identify any gaps, determine appropriate corrective measures, and strengthen safety procedures and operational controls where necessary.”

Ezeh MEDL assured its customers and stakeholders that safety remained a paramount priority in its operations, adding that appropriate measures would be taken based on the outcome of the investigation.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: Edo House of Assembly Elects New speaker

Published

on

Maduka University
A member representing Akoko-Edo Constituency I, Yekini Idiaye, has emerged as the new Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly.

Idiaye, a third-term lawmaker, takes over from Blessing Agbebaku, who resigned as Speaker on Monday amid moves by lawmakers to impeach him.

The emergence of Idiaye was said to have been influenced by the gentleman’s zoning arrangement in the Assembly, which provides that when the governor is from the Edo Central Senatorial District, the Speaker should come from Edo North.

Idiaye, being the oldest member from the Edo North Senatorial District, was subsequently elected Speaker.

Without the zoning arrangement, the Deputy Speaker would have automatically succeeded Agbebaku, according to the new Speaker.

Advertisement

Members of the Assembly were at the Government House to inform Governor Monday Okpebholo of the change in leadership.

When contacted by our correspondent, Agbebaku’s telephone line was busy, while his media aide, Ivy Ebojele, was yet to issue a further statement on his resignation.

Agbebaku was said to have resigned early on Monday following alleged moves by lawmakers to impeach him.

Reports gathered that 17 of the 24 lawmakers had signed a notice of impeachment on Sunday night, a development that may have prompted his resignation.

Agbebaku’s resignation was confirmed by Ebojele, who said details of the development would be made public later.

Advertisement

She said, “I can confirm the Speaker’s resignation but details will be made public later.”

Continue Reading

News

Confusion In House of Assembly As Speaker Resigns

Published

on

Maduka University

The Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Blessing Agbebaku, has resigned from his position.

Agbebaku stepped down on Monday amid moves by some lawmakers to impeach him.

His resignation was confirmed on Facebook by his media aide, Ivy Adodo-Ebojele, who said further details on the circumstances surrounding his exit would be made public later.

“EDO ASSEMBLY SPEAKER RT HON CHIEF BLESSING AGBEBAKU RESIGNS,” she wrote.

The development has thrown the Edo State House of Assembly into a fresh leadership crisis, with lawmakers expected to determine a new Speaker.

Advertisement

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

News

Odii’s Ebonyi Dream: Restructuring, Infrastructure, Healthcare, ICT Top Agenda

Published

on

Maduka University

The Executive Secretary of the Igbo Oriental Think Tank, Dr. Kenneth Anozie, has highlighted the vision of Dr. Chukwuma Anyichuks Odii for Ebonyi State ahead of the 2027 governorship election.

In a statement titled “Anyichuks Odii 2027: I Have a Dream for Ebonyi State,” Anozie compared Odii’s vision for Ebonyi with the transformational ideals associated with American civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.

According to the political analyst, Odii believes that Ebonyi State possesses enormous potential capable of benefiting the wider population rather than serving the interests of a few.

Anozie said Odii’s proposed agenda includes a restructuring of government to ensure equitable representation and development across the different zones of Ebonyi State.

He also listed improved infrastructure as a key component of Odii’s vision, particularly roads and other projects that would facilitate the movement of agricultural produce, stimulate industrial development and create employment opportunities for youths.

Advertisement

The analyst further said Odii plans to make the civil service more responsive to the needs of residents, establish major healthcare centres across the state’s local government areas to help reduce child mortality, and provide extensive ICT training for young people.

Anozie said the ICT initiative could position Ebonyi as a hub for technology talent, with trained professionals able to compete for opportunities locally and internationally.

“Anyichuks has a dream. Ndi Ebonyi need to cue in to that dream for the benefits of all,” Anozie said.

He urged Ebonyi residents to pay attention to the proposed agenda and participate actively in determining the direction of the state ahead of the 2027 election.

Dr. Kenneth Anozie is the Executive Secretary of the Igbo Oriental Think Tank and a political analyst.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending