
Crime
4 killed, another burnt to death in Enugu communal clash, police intervenes

At least four persons have been killed and another burnt to death in a communal clash reported in Ezeagu Local Government Area of the State.
The communal clash between Oyofo and Awha villages in Ezeagu Local Government Area reportedly took place between the villages on 11/08/2023 at about 10am.
Four males were killed while one tricycle and five motorcycles were set ablaze.
A Statement by the Enugu Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Daniel Ndukwe said the State Commissioner of Police, CP Ahmed Ammani, fdc, has ordered the deployment of Police Operatives to the area.
The deployment he said is to maintain the normalcy already restored in the area after the clash.
Twelve (12) male suspects have been arrested in connection with the clash and murder of the victims, while preliminary investigation shows that the clash is a result of land ownership dispute between the villages.
Crime
Anambra Police Arrest Four Over Alleged Murder of 56-Year-Old Man in Awkuzu

The Anambra State Police Command has uncovered the circumstances surrounding the alleged murder of a 56-year-old man, Mr Kelechi Madu, in Awkuzu, Oyi Local Government Area, two days after he was reported missing.
The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Friday, August 21, 2026, by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, who said the breakthrough followed a coordinated search and investigation by police operatives, local vigilantes and members of the deceased’s family.
Madu was reported missing by his wife on August 18, after he reportedly left home on the evening of August 17 and failed to return.
According to the Command, the search for the missing man took a grim turn later that day when his wife returned to the police station to report that he had been found dead in a nearby bush at Umuobi, Awkuzu.
Police operatives immediately mobilised to the scene, where they found Madu’s lifeless body with a deep axe wound to his head. His remains were subsequently evacuated and deposited at a hospital mortuary for preservation.
Following the discovery, detectives intensified their investigation and arrested the deceased’s 32-year-old friend, Mr Ifeanyi Nwankwo, who allegedly confessed to being involved in the planning of the killing.
Preliminary findings by the Command indicated that Nwankwo allegedly obtained money from Madu through fraudulent means, claiming he would assist him in acquiring a piece of land.
Police alleged that the suspect subsequently engaged two other persons to eliminate Madu in an attempt to conceal the alleged fraudulent transaction and prevent the victim from recovering the money.
The Command said two other suspects linked to the alleged plot were also arrested, bringing the number of persons apprehended in connection with the case to four.
The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, psc, mnips, has directed investigators to intensify the probe and identify every person involved in the alleged conspiracy and murder.
The CP vowed that all persons found culpable would be brought to justice.
The Command, through Ikenga, assured residents that it would continue to strengthen intelligence-led policing and community partnerships to prevent violent crimes, uncover criminal networks and ensure that perpetrators face the full weight of the law.
Headline
Crime
2 Suspected Kidnappers, Armed Robbers Neutralised as Anambra CP Orders Probe into Head Bridge Shooting

By Okey Maduforo, Awka
Two suspected armed robbers and kidnappers have been neutralised by operatives of the Anambra State Police Command.
The development came as the Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, ordered an immediate and comprehensive investigation into an incident involving police operatives and a suspect at the Head Bridge, Onitsha.
According to a statement by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, the incident involving the suspected criminals occurred in the early hours of Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
Ikenga said operatives of the Command attached to the Rapid Response Squad, Awkuzu, acted on credible intelligence that a group of suspected armed robbers and kidnappers had been sighted along Eziowelle Road.
He said the operatives swiftly mobilised to the area, but the suspects opened fire upon sighting the police team, leading to a gun duel.
“During the ensuing encounter, two of the suspects sustained fatal gunshot injuries, while other members of the gang fled the scene with varying degrees of gunshot wounds,” Ikenga said.
He added that the operatives recovered one AK-47 rifle with a magazine containing four live rounds of ammunition, one pump-action gun and five live cartridges from the scene.
Meanwhile, the Commissioner of Police has ordered a thorough and impartial investigation into the separate incident at the Head Bridge, Onitsha, where gunshots were reportedly fired during an attempted arrest.
Addressing residents and other members of the public in Onitsha on Wednesday, CP Oji Ama said the immediate priority of the Command was to ensure that those injured in the incident receive adequate medical attention and recover fully.
The Commissioner subsequently visited the victims at the hospital, where he assured them of the Command’s support and pledged to personally ensure that their medical expenses were covered.
CP Oji Ama further ordered a comprehensive investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident, particularly the events that led to the discharge of the firearm.
He stressed that the investigation would establish the facts and ensure that appropriate action was taken based on its findings.
The Commissioner appealed for calm and urged members of the public to remain peaceful while the investigation runs its course.
He reiterated the Command’s commitment to professionalism, accountability, respect for human life and strict adherence to the rule of law.
Meanwhile, the situation around the Head Bridge area has been de-escalated, with the free flow of vehicular and human movement restored.
Crime
Gunmen Attack Adeleke’s Convoy at Osogbo, Security Operatives Repel Assailants

The shooting, which lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes, occurred shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall where he had met with the monarch.
Adeleke had arrived at the Ataoja’s palace at about 3:15 pm in a motorcade of about 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return following his re-election.
An eyewitness, who spoke with our correspondent on the telephone on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said Adeleke and his entourage were received by Oyetunji, where the governor reportedly presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch.
The eyewitness said trouble started as the meeting was winding down after the monarch had offered prayers.
According to her, Adeleke had already left the hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives when the shooting started.
She said, “He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”
She said, “We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.
“We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.”
The incident caused panic in the area as traders and other residents reportedly fled their businesses and sought safety during the shooting.
When contacted, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack.
Alimi said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assailants and that no casualty was recorded.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” he said.
As of 4:45 pm, when our correspondent left the scene, sporadic gunshots were still being heard around the area, while several business owners had hurriedly shut their shops for fear of being caught in the violence.
Crime
Odii Condoles Family of Murdered Elder Ubochi, Offers Scholarships to Children

…Calls for Probe, Commission of Inquiry into Violence in Ohaukwu, Ezza South
Chief Ifeanyi Chukwuma Odii, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate in Ebonyi State, has condoled with the family of Elder Onwe Ubochi of Osege Village, Umuogudu Oshia Ngbo, Ohaukwu Local Government Area, following his gruesome murder.
Odii described the killing as a tragic loss to the deceased’s family and the people of Ohaukwu and Ebonyi State, urging security agencies to conduct a thorough and impartial investigation.
He called on the Nigeria Police Force to identify and prosecute everyone found to have planned, sponsored, facilitated or participated in the killing, stressing that every Ebonyian’s life is precious regardless of political affiliation.
Calls for Commission of Inquiry
Odii also urged Governor Francis Ogbonna Nwifuru to constitute a high-powered commission of inquiry into the recurring violence and political tensions in Ohaukwu and Ezza South.
He said the commission should investigate previous incidents of violence, alleged threats, political tensions and other factors contributing to insecurity in the affected communities.
According to him, understanding the remote causes of the violence is essential to preventing further loss of lives and restoring public confidence.
Scholarship for Children
As part of his response to the tragedy, Odii announced scholarships for the children of the late Elder Ubochi through university level.
He said the gesture was intended to support the children and ensure that their father’s death does not derail their education.
“While nothing can replace their father, I want the children to know that they are not alone. I am committing to providing scholarships for his children up to university level. We will stand with the family and support the children in their education,” he said.
Odii also appealed to political, community and other stakeholders to reject violence and urged supporters of all political parties to remain calm and resist attempts to provoke reprisal attacks.
He said the people of Ohaukwu, Ezza South and Ebonyi State deserved peace, stressing that no political ambition was worth the life of a citizen.
He urged security agencies and the state government to act swiftly and transparently, saying justice for Elder Ubochi should be accompanied by concrete measures to prevent similar tragedies.
Crime
Elder Ubochi Killing Raises Fresh Concerns Over Political Violence Ahead of 2027 in Ebonyi

The reported killing of an elderly man identified as Elder Onwe Ubochi of Ngbo has sparked fresh concerns over political violence and the safety of citizens and political actors in Ebonyi State ahead of the 2027 general elections.
According to accounts surrounding the incident, Ubochi had attended a political gathering in Ohaukwu/Ebonyi Federal Constituency organised in support of an APGA candidate, where he was reportedly invited to lead an open prayer.
He was allegedly attacked and killed later that night, with reports also alleging that his mouth was mutilated.
The circumstances surrounding the killing, however, have not been independently established, while the identities and motives of those responsible remain unknown and subject to police investigation.
If the reported circumstances are confirmed, the incident would raise serious concerns about the safety of political supporters and citizens participating in lawful political activities.
The development has also prompted calls for the Inspector-General of Police to order a thorough and transparent investigation into the circumstances surrounding Ubochi’s death.
Among the questions investigators are being urged to establish are who organised and attended the gathering, when and where Ubochi was last seen alive, who was responsible for his movement after the event, and whether the killing was politically motivated.
There are also calls for investigators to determine whether the deceased had received any threats before his death and whether security lapses contributed to the incident.
Meanwhile, PDP chieftain Hon. Emmanuel Nwobo has reportedly raised concerns over the political atmosphere in parts of Ebonyi State, including Ohaukwu and Ezza South, during appearances on four television stations.
Calls are also growing for Governor Francis Nwifuru to consider establishing an independent panel to examine allegations of political violence and intimidation in the affected areas.
Supporters of the proposal say such a panel should investigate allegations from all political sides, hear from victims and witnesses, review previous incidents and recommend measures to prevent further violence.
The calls come as political activities gradually intensify ahead of the 2027 elections.
Stakeholders have urged political leaders, security agencies, traditional rulers, religious leaders and civil society groups to work towards maintaining peace and ensuring that political disagreements do not degenerate into violence.
They also stressed the need for political campaigns to remain within the bounds of the law, with disputes resolved through lawful democratic processes rather than retaliation.
The family of the late Elder Ubochi has meanwhile been urged to be allowed to determine arrangements concerning his remains in accordance with their wishes, traditions and applicable law.
Those calling for justice said the immediate priority should be establishing the circumstances of his death, identifying those responsible and ensuring that anyone found culpable faces the law.
The reported killing has therefore become another point of concern for stakeholders seeking a peaceful electoral environment in Ebonyi ahead of 2027.
The central demand from those calling for an investigation is that political participation must not expose citizens to violence and that any allegation of politically motivated killing should be thoroughly investigated by the appropriate authorities.
-
Politics5 days ago2027 Enugu Guber: NDC’s Odalije Chinyeaka Ohaa Reiterates Power of Electorates to Hire and Fire Leaders
-
Crime4 days agoEnugu Govt Urges Residents to Use 112 Emergency Line as Crime Drops by 80%
-
News4 days agoBREAKING: Edo House of Assembly Elects New speaker
-
News4 days agoConfusion In House of Assembly As Speaker Resigns
-
Foreign4 days agoTrump Threatens Oman With Bombing Over Strait of Hormuz Talks
-
Opinion4 days ago
EBONYI; LET’S STAND ON A BETTER, MORE PROGRESSIVE MANDATE; PDP ANYICHUKS ODII
-
Politics5 days ago2027: Kwankwaso Explains Decision to Run as Obi’s Running Mate
-
Politics17 hours agoAwkunanaw Clan gives ‘Ofo’ to their son, Sir Chinyeaka Ohaa, the NDC 2027 Enugu state Guber candidate

