News
937 killed, 1,972 abducted by bandits in 2020 – Kaduna govt

The Kaduna State Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, said on Wednesday 937 people were killed and 1,972 others abducted by bandits in the state last year.
Aruwan stated this when he presented the state’s Annual Security Report to Governor Nasir El Rufai at the Government House in Kaduna.
He said the victims of the kidnapping, banditry, and other criminal activities cut across all ethnic and religious groups in the state contrary to skewed narratives from some quarters.
The commissioner said: “Victims of criminal acts like banditry and kidnapping are to be found across ethnic, religious or political leanings and persuasions.”
“Of this number of deaths, Igabi LGA has the highest figure of 152 followed by Kajuru with 144. Birnin Gwari, Igabi, Giwa and Chikun LGAs in Kaduna Central Senatorial District accounted for 468 out of 937 people that died in 2020. This represented over 50 percent of the fatalities recorded in the state.
“The Southern Senatorial District accounted for 286 deaths, which is about one-third of the total due in large part to sporadic clashes, alongside banditry which triggered attacks and counter-attacks, especially between June and November 2020.
“Out of 1,972 people kidnapped in the period under review, Kaduna Central Senatorial District accounted for 1,561. In Birnin Gwari, Igabi, Giwa and Chikun 1,461 were abducted during the period.”
In his address after receiving the report, El-Rufai said the state has been using its limited tools to address the security challenges.
The governor paid tribute to the victims of insecurity and reiterated his administration’s resolve to protect the people and stop all criminalities in the state.
He said the government has invested in technology to help secure the state, adding that a Close-Circuit Television (CCTV) is being deployed in Kaduna metropolis while options for consistent operations of drones are being explored.
News
London Flight: Peter Obi Speaks on Air Peace Experience, Commends Complimentary SIMPLAA Ride Service (Video)
News
Soludo Swears In 18 Newly Appointed Commissioners
By Okey Maduforo Awka
The ceremony, held at the Executive Council Chambers inside the Light House in Awka, marks the systematic assembly of “Team Solution 2.0.”
Soludo had earlier sworn in two Commissioners about three weeks ago before the recent inauguration of the 18 appointees.
Governor simultaneously inaugurated four key heads of agencies into the State Executive Council, forming a unified administrative team designed to accelerate Anambra’s economic transformation.
He warned the appointees that their roles must be treated as heavy burdens of public trust rather than invitations to personal luxury.
“In Nigeria, a public appointment is too often viewed as a call to ‘come and chop.’ But under this administration, I don’t see a dining table. What I see is gruelling work; I see fields where you must sweat to serve,” Governor Soludo stated.
The Governor revealed that the entire cabinet selection process was highly intentional, characterized by deep vetting to ensure merit and capacity.
Using a metaphor to describe the high-velocity pace expected of his second-term administration, he remarked:
“The plane is already on autopilot. If you don’t get into the passenger cabin, you must get directly into the cockpit. We are in a race against time to build a liveable and prosperous homeland for over nine million Ndi Anambra.
Governor Soludo further challenged the cabinet members to keep their copy of the Oath of Office close, revealing that he keeps his own displayed in his bedroom as a daily moral compass before stepping out for governance.
He concluded by appealing to the families and relatives of the appointees to manage their personal expectations, stressing that public service requires immense sacrifice and 24/7 commitment.
Responding on behalf of the newly inaugurated executive council members, the Commissioner for Information and Value Reformation, Dr. Law Mefor, expressed profound gratitude to both the state legislature for its swift confirmation process and to Governor Soludo for the privilege to serve.
News
Hon. Chukwunonso Okoye Declares for Anambra Assembly Under YPP

*A BREATH OF FRESH AIR*
The Young Progressives Party (YPP), which it’s name represents what it stands for has again proven to the Anambra people that the party is not just any party but a party that understands what leadership is all about and knows how best in choosing a great leader for the party.
Hon. Chukwunonso Okoye, popularly known as “Ubinaemenni II,” and the first son of former APGA Chairman in Anambra Central, Ozonkpu Chief Nduka Chinedu Okoye, Ubinaemine has officially declared his intention to contest for the Anambra State House of Assembly seat representing Njikoka Constituency 1 in the forthcoming 2026 election under YPP.
Mr Okoye, who is the Executive Director of UBI Hotels Ltd, has emerged as the consensus candidate for the party. While addressing the party faithfuls, he reaffirmied his commitment to grassroots development, youth empowerment, and quality representation, which includes but not to limited to making of positive bills which will help the seating government of Anambra state and ndi Anamnbra state in general to achieving the Anambra of our dreams .
Speaking shortly after he emerged as the party flag bearer. He described his ambition as a call to service aimed at bringing a new voice, a new vision, and a new beginning” to the people of Njikoka Constituency 1.
According to him, “The time is now. The future is ours. Together, we can build better communities through purposeful leadership and people-oriented governance.”
In a show of strong family and political support, his father, High Chief Ozonkpu Nduka Chinedu Okoye who has remained a committed supporter and stakeholder of APGA over the years, openly declared his backing for his son’s aspiration. He also called on APGA faithful and stakeholders across Njikoka and Anambra State to support Chukwunonso Okoye’s ambition, describing him as a young, capable, and visionary leader who understands the needs of the people.
High Chief Ozonkpu Okoye further noted that the aspiration aligns with the youth-driven leadership vision being championed by the Governor of Anambra State, His Excellency Charles Chukwuma Soludo, whom he praised for encouraging greater youth participation in governance and leadership across the state.
Campaign materials released by the aspirant carried strong messages of hope and progress, urging constituents to embrace positive change ahead of the 2026 elections.
Supporters and party faithful have continued to rally around Okoye’s candidacy, expressing confidence in his ability to deliver effective representation and drive developmental projects across the constituency.
The Young Progressives Party has continued to position itself as a platform for emerging leaders and progressive ideals in Anambra State politics as preparations intensify for the 2026 elections.
News
2027: Atiku, Amaechi submit ADC presidential forms
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and former Minister of Transportation Rotimi Amaechi on Thursday submitted their nomination forms at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja.
Atiku, in a post on his X handle on Thursday, said his presidential bid represents a broader movement aimed at restoring national prosperity and rebuilding Nigeria.
Amaechi, on his part, pledged to turn the country around within four years if elected, arguing that competence, experience and performance—not ethnicity or political sentiment—should determine the 2027 contest.
Their declarations come as the ADC continues to attract high-profile politicians ahead of the next general elections, amid intensifying political realignments across the country.
Speaking after submitting his form at the ADC national headquarters in Abuja, Atiku wrote, “The march to restore prosperity and better days to our beloved nation took a firm and decisive step forward today at the national secretariat of our great party, the African Democratic Congress.”
The former vice president said the movement transcended politics and was focused on national renewal and hope.
“This is more than a political journey; it is a national movement rooted in hope, renewal, and the collective resolve to save Nigeria from despair,” he stated.
He also called on Nigerians across ethnic, religious and regional divides to support the movement.
“I call on all Nigerians, regardless of region, faith, or background, to join us in this noble cause. Together, we will restore the promise of our nation and bring good times back again,” he added.
On his part, Amaechi pledged to transform Nigeria within four years if elected in the 2027 general election.
Amaechi made the promise shortly after submitting his nomination forms, where he also took a swipe at the administration of President Bola Tinubu, blaming it for the country’s worsening economic hardship.
The former Rivers State governor said the 2027 election should be based on competence, experience and performance rather than ethnic or regional sentiments.
“What Nigerians should do is assess all of us who are running for office based on our records.
“Nearly everybody who is running for the office of the president has served Nigeria in one way or another. Let this be a referendum. If you have performed, whoever has outperformed the other, vote for the person,” he said.
Amaechi argued that his years in public office had prepared him for the task of leading the country, citing his tenure as governor and later as Minister of Transportation under the late President Muhammadu Buhari.
“The next thing is, who is capable of delivering the votes? Who is capable of beating the incumbent? Who has the experience? I believe I am the most experienced.
“I am young, I am the most experienced, and I believe I have the capacity.
“Go back to Rivers State and see what I have done. Go back to the Ministry of Transportation and see what I have done, and assess it and see whether I can turn the country around. And I will, in four years, turn the country around,” he declared.
Amaechi, who served as governor of Rivers State from 2007 to 2015, was a key figure in the formation of the All Progressives Congress and later served as Director-General of President Buhari’s 2015 campaign.
As Minister of Transportation between 2015 and 2023, he oversaw major railway projects, including the Abuja-Kaduna and Lagos-Ibadan rail lines, although critics questioned the rising debt associated with some of the infrastructure projects.
Speaking on the state of the nation, the former minister criticised what he described as the growing hardship under the Tinubu administration, saying Nigerians were bearing the brunt of economic policies that had worsened living conditions.
“Nigerians should vote for merit, not vote for those who say, ‘I’m from this place’ or ‘it is our turn.’
“It is the ‘Emilokan’ mentality that brought us here. It is our turn that brought us here. Now Nigerians are suffering,” he said.
News
MASSOB Declares Voluntary Sit-At-Home May 30th, Warns Against Forceful Compliance
By Okey Maduforo Awka
Movement For Actualization Of A Sovereign State Of Biafra (MASSOB) has declared May 30th Biafran Day celebration stating that the Sit-At-Home Order is voluntary for all Biafrans .
This year’s celebration is to mark the 59th year anniversary of Biafra declaration by General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu on 30th May, 1967
According to the Spokesman of MASSOB Comrade Edeson Samuel nobody is going to be forced to observe the Sit At Home Order adding that it is optional to all Biafrans.
“MASSOB in the spirit of true Biafrans and brotherhood among Biafra agitators and Biafrans in general have declared 2026 commemoration of Biafra Anniversary ceremony with sit at home exercise in Biafra land for sober reflection”
“MASSOB declares that all markets, public, private motor parks, schools, banks, and other public business premises shall remain closed from 6 am to 4 pm on 30th May, 2026”
“It is a mark of appreciation and acknowledgement of the numerous sacrifices and prices our fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters rendered for Biafra during the three years war of genocide against Biafra by the British backed Nigeria”.
The body further recognizes the contributions of the leader of Indigenous People Of Biafra IPOB Mazi Nnamdi Kanu towards the Biafran emancipation demanding for his unconditional release.
“MASSOB is also using the Biafra declaration anniversary to show solidarity to our brother, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu who is wrongly imprisoned for the sake of Biafra”
“We demand his immediate release and call for justice for all Biafrans who have been unjustly detained or persecuted”
Edeson further reiterated that the celebration is annual activity that has never been a threat to security law and order noting that it has already been non violent.
“The call for stay at home has been our annual and recalling measures and steps for effective civil disobedience ceremonial exercise”
“MASSOB reminds the people of Biafra that this exercise has always been the life wire of the Biafran struggle which boomed the potency and acceptability of the non violence Biafra self determination struggle.
“The request for closure of Markets, public/private motor parks, schools and other public business premises is a one day mandatory exercise that Biafrans shall stand, it is a mark of respect and love for our fatherland.
“Biafrans shall not be compelled, pressurized or forced to observe the stay at home exercise.
“MASSOB and other pro Biafra agitators will not molest, compel or intimidate anybody to observe the stay at home exercise as all our members shall stay indoors in observance of the great day of Biafra.”
“There shall be no physical demonstration, street march, procession or any other public functions in Biafra land on May 30th 2026”
The body stated that it is aware that there would be heavy presence of security operatives urging Biafrans to conduct themselves well and peaceful in order not to engage themselves is a senseless face off with the personnel .
“MASSOB knows that there will be heavy presence of armed Nigeria Army, Mobile police, DSS operatives and Civil Defence in major cities of Biafra land during our annual Biafra Day Anniversary Celebration”
“They are all signs of jittery, fear and cowardice of Nigeria state over Biafra”
“No amount of security intimidation, mesmerization, killings, detention, oppression, incarceration etc will ever stop the will power of an indigenous people for self determination. the use of force can never stop the inflow of the spirit of Biafra” he said.
-
News5 days agoFG Spends N4.24bn To Run Presidential fleet in six months – Report
-
Politics5 days ago2027: Makinde Joins Presidential Race, Declares on APM platform
-
Politics4 days agoFailed Consensus In Some States Raises Tension as APC primaries begin
-
News5 days agoAbuja Igbo Community, Ohaneze Mobilizes 1.2 Million Voters For INEC Registration
-
Politics5 days agoGun to my head, I won’t stay beyond four years — Nigeria’s Most Popular Presidential Aspirant
-
News5 days agoMASSOB Declares Voluntary Sit-At-Home May 30th, Warns Against Forceful Compliance
-
News4 days ago2027: Atiku, Amaechi submit ADC presidential forms
-
Politics2 days ago‘I regret trusting elders in the community, I know how much I gave them, only 14 voted for me’ – Cubana Chief Priest
