Police makes clarification on ‘planned reinstatement’ of disbanded SARS

The Inspector General of Police, Mr Usman Baba, on Thursday assured that there was no plan to reinstate the disbanded Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) into the Nigeria Police Force.

Mr Frank Mba, the Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO), disclosed this in a statement in Abuja.

Mba explained that the clarification followed reports making the rounds both online and offline that the IGP had directed the reinstatement of the disbanded SARS.

He said, “The Force wishes to emphasise that there is no plan whatsoever to bring back the disbanded SARS. SARS is gone for good and will not resurrect under any guise whatsoever.”

See also  EFCC arraigns lady for N2.5m Canadian visa fraud

According to Mba, the Nigeria Police had re-organised the operational structure of the squad to fill the vacuum created by its disbandment, as the leadership of the Force remains focused on efforts at deepening reforms within the Force.

The FPRO said the idea was to bequeath Nigerians, a Police Force that would be more efficient, effective, technology-driven, humane and rule of law compliant.

He advised the general public to disregard the report, saying that it was deliberately intended to misinform the public.

Recall that following the nationwide protest against police brutality, the former IGP, Mohammed Adamu, had last year ordered all officers and men of the now-defunct Special Anti-robbery Squad to be redeployed with immediate effect.

Recommended For You

About the Author: Everydaynewsngr

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *