150 cholera victims confirmed dead in Katsina

More than 150 people have so far been confirmed dead from the 5,677 cases reported since the outbreak of the cholera epidemic in Katsina State about one month ago.

The Executive Secretary, Primary Health Care Development Agency (PHCDA), Katsina State, Dr. Shamsudeen Yahaya, who made the disclosure to newsmen on the sidelines of a meeting involving health sector managers in the state, said the figures were gathered from hospitals and other primary health care centres in the state.

Shamsudeen further hinted that the casualty figure could be higher since some victims, particularly in the rural areas, do not report at hospitals.

See also  Resident doctors suspend 10 days old nationwide strike

He said: “Just like it is happening in some parts of the country, we still have cholera cases in Katsina State. And as you all know, the disease goes high during the rainy season.

“As at Thursday, September 2, we had 5,677 cases of cholera covering the 34 local government areas of the state.

“We all have a role to play at the family and community levels because that is the most important.”

“When people engage in indiscriminate dumping of refuse, indiscriminate open defecation, there must be a spread of diseases like cholera.”

He called on the general public to avoid unhygienic environments, eat only healthy food and improve on personal and environmental hygiene.

See also  Group partners Enugu LG, provides free medical care for elderly

Source: The Nation

Recommended For You

About the Author: Everydaynewsngr

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *